Introduction: Concrete Lamp - This Was a Failure

Some weeks ago my wife came home from IKEA and she got me this NITTIO lamp. Quite a while I did not know where to use it until I saw some videos on Youtube of people using concrete for the base of the lamp. I wanted to give this a try.


The first and most important thing I have learned with this project. Retry if you fail. Down below there are some photos of my first try to work with concrete and the bad outcome. But I got it done in the end.

Things I needed for this project.

  • Wood for the mold and some screws
  • Concrete (2 bags since the first one ended in the trash bin)
  • Lamp socket and a lamp
  • Silicone
  • Hot Glue gun
  • Jigsaw

Step 1: Creating the Mold

Since the bulb is relatively big I wanted to create a equally big base. I took some wood I had lying around and cut this with a jigsaw to 4 parts with the same dimensions. Initially my plan was to embed an arduino with a relay and a motion detection sensor, but after the first failure of this project and the outcome of the second try, I did not have enough space in the concrete block.

The space for the electronics was the reason why I made a second wooden box with smaller dimensions and glued it in the center of the bigger box. I used some silicone to seal the corners of the big box and let everything dry. I glued to plastic caps to the center of the inner box so that I have a hole in the concrete for the bulb socket.

Step 2: Pouring Concrete

As the silicone was dry I just mixed some concrete and poured it into the mold and waited for 1.5 days.

Step 3: Failure!

When I removed the outer box, everything went fine. But I was not able to get the inner box out of the concrete. I made several mistakes and the concrete broke on all corners.

So I assembled the outer box again and sealed the corners with silicone again for a second try.

Step 4: Start Over and Get It Done!

For the second try I used a milk carton instead of the wooden box to get some room in the middle of the concrete block. I reused the plastic caps for the hole in the center and this time everything went well. After the concrete was curing for a day I removed the wooden box and was able to remove the milk carton in the middle as well. The carton slightly bent under the pressure of the concrete and now I had enough room for the socket - but not for the arduino and the relay. So I just attached a regular wire with switch to the socket. After a bit of sanding the socket fits perfect in the hole. Time to put in the bulb and this small project was done.

Thank you for reading!

Home Hacks Challenge

Participated in the
Home Hacks Challenge