Introduction: Confit Garlic and Garlic Oil
In this instructable I am hopping to teach you how to take a simple ingredient such as garlic and elevate it. We will be making confit garlic oil and confit garlic. These two items can be used greatly in you food preparation.
The oil last 3 weeks in the fridge, in an air tight container.
We use the garlic confit as a spread on our toasted sandwiches, cook it with eggs, add it to roasted or steamed vegetables or just eating it with a slice of crusty bread.The garlic confit will last two weeks in the fridge in an air tight container.
*Confit is a cooking method usually in oil, slowly to preserve the ingredient.
1/2 cup Olive Oil
1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
Step 1: Your Tools
Chef Knife or a large knife you feel comfortable chopping with
Hand Held Blender or Food Processor
Step 2: Let’s Peel Some Garlic!
1. You will need to peel all the cloves of garlic. First start by trying to break up the bulb.
2. Separate the cloves.
3. Once all the cloves are separated you can start to peel.
4. Laying the cloves on-top of the cutting board, place the Chef knife on top of the cloves.
5. Using the heal of your hand hit the knife this smashing the garlic.
6. The peels will be loose allowing you to take them off using a pairing knife.
Step 3: Time to Cook.
1. Place the garlic into a medium saucepan.
2. Once all the garlic is complete, pour the two different oils into the saucepan.
3. Bring to a gentle simmer over medium heat.
4. Reduce heat to low, stirring occasionally.
5. Cook for 1 hour or until the cloves are golden brown.
6. Once the cloves are cooked, remove from the heat.
Step 4: Separate the Oil
1. Separate the confit garlic from the oil.
2. Allow the oil to cool completely before using.
Step 5: Purée Time
1. Purée the confit garlic with a hand held blender or food processor.
2. The garlic should be smooth as paste.
3. Transfer to an airtight container and place it in the fridge. This is good for 2 weeks.
You can use confit garlic in many ways such as on top of crusty bread, with steamed vegetables, eggs, the possibilities are endless.