Introduction: Create an IPhone App That Talks to Particle Mesh
In this project, you'll learn how to load an app on your iPhone that talks directly to a 3rd Generation Particle Mesh board. It will take less than 20 minutes of your time. Plus, you can start tinkering right away!!
Let's get started.
Things you'll need
- Particle Mesh (Xenon, Argon, Boron) board
- Newer iPad or iPhone. (That's it!)
Getting setup will be the trickiest part.
- Install Xcode. You can download it from the App store here.
- Install Particle Workbench. You can download it here.
- You'll also need an Apple login. I use my iCloud email. You can create a new account within Xcode if you don't have one yet.
If you prefer video, check out the one above. Otherwise, follow along in this step-by-step guide. :)
Step 1: Clone the Repos
Clone the RGB firmware code to your computer
git clone email@example.com:jaredwolff/particle-bluetooth-rgb.git
Clone the App example code to your computer as well
git clone firstname.lastname@example.org:jaredwolff/swift-bluetooth-particle-rgb.git
Step 2: Load to Particle Mesh Board
- The fastest way to get started is to compile and load locally.
- Plug your Particle device into USB
- Click on ble-rgb-control.ino in the left menu
- Select the Particle device you're using in the bottom right corner. (I'm using a Xenon in this example)
- Select the deviceOS version as 1.3.0-rc.1 in the same area.
- Put the device into DFU mode.
Here are some handy ways to do it without touching a single button on the mesh board:
For Mac (tested)/Linux (untested)
stty -f /dev/tty.usbserial1234 14400
mode COMx 14400
(x being the auto-assigned port number)
Once you run the command, you may notice your device is blinking yellow! Good stuff!
Command + Shift + P and then click Flash application (local)
Note: if you are unsure which version is on your device it's best to do a CloudFlash instead of a Flash application (local). That way your OS is updated in the process as well.
Step 3: Load to IPhone
- Open the project in Xcode
- Plug in and select your device
Press play to load it
Having trouble? Check out the Troubleshooting step.
Step 4: Time to Play
At this point the firmware should be loaded on your device. The app is loaded on your phone. You can take a look through the code and see how things were connected.
If you're curious about all the details you can check out my step-by-step post here:
All the troubleshooting steps are there as well:
Also! This is a preview of some of the content from my upcoming Ultimate Guide to Particle Mesh. You can subscribe to my list for more details, exclusive content and a discount when it comes available here:
Thanks for check this project out. If you enjoyed it, consider hitting that heart button. It really helps me out. ❤