Introduction: DIY- Cool Denim Pocket Notebook (with Pictures)
A notebook is something basic that every maker, hobbyist, enthusiast uses and it helps us in all our projects. So, I wanted to start my journey as a maker in instructable with this pocket notebook.
I have made this instructable with tons of images so that it'll be very easy for anyone to follow. Hope you guys like it!
Step 1: Getting Things Ready.
First, let's gather all the things that we need:
- Hard cardboard (for the bookbinding)
- Paper sheets (A3 / A4 / Recycled paper)
- Adhesive tape
- Needle and thread
- Craft glue
- Craft knife
- Pencil, ruler, and eraser
- Old jeans
- Spray paint (optional)
Now that you have everything set up its time to start making your very own pocket notebook.
Step 2: Making the Pages.
Let's start with making the pages for the book. I used some old A3 sheets lying around in my home. You can use pages from your old notebook or any other books. I highly recommend using any old pages lying around instead of buying sheets, that way you are recycling and also all your pages would look unique.
- First cut a sheet of 11.5x15 cm dimension. Then fold it in between to make two pages of a notebook. Repeat the same step to make a book with multiple pages. After you cut one single page you can just trace and cut the remaining pages.
- Now you need to staple the pages in between. If you have a large stapler then you can just directly staple it. If you don't then you can try what I did. Just open up the staple and staple it from one side keeping something like styrofoam or a soft object so that the staple can pierce through and then use scissors to close the staple pin on the other side. Do this 3 to 4 times at the mid of the book and now you have a simple notebook for yourself.
Note: If you have pages sticking out when you fold the pages (it mostly will) just trim it out using scissors.
Step 3: Binding the Book.
This step is almost same as the previous one.
- First, you cut the cardboard to 11.5x15 cm and then fold it in between.
- Now to stick it to the book just apply glue on the last page of the book and then stick it the hardcover. That's it.
- You can make the bond stronger by taping the book and the cover. This way you increase the strength of the bond and also make it look even better.
Step 4: Denim Book Cover.
We are in our last step.
- Try to find some old jeans and cut off the bottom part of the leg. Now cut it horizontally to open up the jeans. Make sure the jeans fit the book with some extra material at the ends.
- Now cover the book and check how much you have to fold the jeans at the end. Now stitch up the top and bottom ends inside out. That's about it.
- You can slide in the book now and there you have it, a pocket notebook. Once you are done with the book just make a new book and insert it back into the cover.
Well, there you have it, your very own denim pocket notebook. It's time to write down your ideas and thoughts.
Step 5: Additional Cover Art.
For this, I just wrote IDEA in MS word and then got it printed, cut it out using a craft knife, placed it on the cover and just spray painted over it to get a clean outline of the word IDEA. This way you can write anything else that you have in mind or even stick some stickers, beads etc. Just let your imagination flow.
Well, I hope you liked the instructable. I kept it as simple as possible so that everyone would be able to catch up. If you have any doubts feel free to ask me in the comments.