Introduction: DIY Dog Puppet
This is a tutorial on how to create a dog puppet. The one pictured is a Labradoodle, but it would easily be modified to look like other breeds. You could do this completely with glue, or with a combination of gluing and very basic sewing. I created this through trial/error so the tutorial isn't highly specific (ex. no measurements/pattern). It would be better used as inspiration rather than exact instructions.
- 3/4" foam
- Faux fur
- Glue (I used hot glue and a spray adhesive) or sewing kit
- Eyes and nose
- Thin pink foam sheet
- Collar (optional)
My puppet was inspired loosely by a Prairie Dog puppet. If you are looking to make something using an exact pattern, it is offered for free here, along with a step-by-step video tutorial.
I am a child therapist and when I got my boss for a secret santa I decided to make her a puppet of her therapy dog :)
Step 1: Stuff the Head
- Take a sock and turn it inside out
- Trace the outline of the sock on a piece of fabric and cut it out.
- Sew the fabric along the edges of the sock, leaving an opening at the back for stuffing.
- Turn the sock right-side-in and add stuffing to the top section to create the snout. I used a piece of foam, topped with some fur scraps. The stuffing goes in the top section of the sock and a puppeteer's hand goes underneath.
Step 2: Create the Mouth
- Cut out a long oblong mouth out of thin foam or felt.
- Then glue to underside of the snout to create the top part of the mouth.
- Cut a piece of 3/4" foam for the bottom jaw and glue on the other part piece of pink foam or fabric
- Attach the back edge of the jaw to the sock. I also glued thin foam around the bottom jaw's edge to create a place for the puppeteer's thumb.
Step 3: Attach the Head and Body
- You can add shape to the head a number of ways. The simplest way may be to sew some stuffing or a styrofoam ball into the fur fabric. I used this patten, along with this video tutorialto create a round head out of foam (I cut the jaw off the pattern after it was glued)
- Sew or glue on the head.
- Create a body by rolling 3/4" foam and glue on the head.
Step 4: Attach Fur, Nose, Eyes and Ears
- I sprayed adhesive onto the foam and glued on the fur. I used hot glue to make sure edges were secure (ex. Jawline).
- Glue on eyes and a nose. Depending on the kind your get, you may need to do this step when attaching the fabric.
- Cut out ears with pink foam and glue on fur. Glue or sew ears to head.
- I also added a dog collar as a finishing touch.
Step 5: Finished Puppet
Here is what it ended up looking like. I also made a puppy finger puppet using a simplified version of similar techniques.
Participated in the
Homemade Gifts Contest