Introduction: DIY Roof Rack - Ford Freestyle
High price of after market Roof Rack getting you down. If you just need cross bars rails for a factory rack so you can mount or bungie stuff to it here is what I did:
Step 1: Here You Go:
Bill of Materials:
2 Square Tube 1x48 1/16 thick Aluminum - Home Depot or Ace Hardware
4 U-Bolts 5/16 x 1 3/8 x 3 7/8 with nuts and cross washer - Ace Hardware (Home Depot didn't have correct size.)
Couldn't find 1 3/8 wide squared corner U-Bolts which would work better (Ace has some but not the correct size.)
8 Cap Nuts 5/16 18 coarse - Home Depot
8 Lock washers INT Tooth 5/16 - Home Depot
1 Drill Bit 5/16 in retrospect use 1 size up so the U-Bolts have some play - Home Depot
2 3 packs 3/8 Heat Shrink in the Electrical Section - Home Depot
1. Figure out where you want the cross bars and mark front and back with a pencil on the roof rails and on the cross bars.
2. Fit U-Bolt on angle underneath roof rails touching Aluminum and mark with pencil.
3. Drill holes in Aluminum.
4. Slide Heat Shrink over U-Bolt and heat with hair dryer or lighter.
5. Install roof rack, put U-Bolts on with cross washer, Lock Washer and Nut on top of Aluminum
6. Use Dremel cut off tool to cut U-Bolts to size for Cap Nuts to fit. (Tip: leave original nut on so you can un-screw the nut in case the threads get mess up during the cut off).
7. Tighten nuts.
8. You're done, I've attached some pictures.
Took about 1 hour to complete
Total cost of project: less than $65
I'll add better pictures later.