Introduction: Easy Amazing Special K Bar Recipe!
This is a simple, fast recipe that you could make for any event. Whether it be a family event, bake sale, or any party. It has a peanut buttery crispy base with a chocolate-butterscotch frosting that makes it so sweet. The PDF of the recipe is attached! (Pictures of the steps will be shown right before the actual words to the steps.)
WARNING: This recipe does contain peanut butter in it!
- Large Saucepan
- 13 x 9-inch baking pan (can use any pan, it will just adjust how thick the bars are)
- Microwave safe bowl
- Rubber spatula
- 1 cup and 2 tbsp corn syrup
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 heaping cup of creamy peanut butter
- 6 cups of crisp rice cereal
- 1 and 1⁄2 cups of NESTLÉ TOLL HOUSE Chocolate Morsels
- 1 and 1⁄2 cups of NESTLÉ TOLL HOUSE Butterscotch Flavored Morsels
Step 1: Creating the Rice Crispy Base:
Prep: Complete these steps before you start Step 1 below.
- 1 heaping cup peanut butter and 6 cups of cereal are measured and ready to go.
- Spray your baking pan with Pam cooking spray or smear some butter on the pan- so the
- bars don’t stick to the baking pan.
- Combine 1 cup of granulate sugar with 1 cup and 2 tbsp of corn syrup in a large saucepan. Put the saucepan on an oven burner but DO NOT TURN ON THE HEAT UNTIL YOU READ THE WARNING BELOW
Warning: If you do NOT stir the sugar constantly it will BURN. It is very important that you don’t burn the sugar here because it will turn brown and you have to start over.
A) Bring the sugar and corn syrup just to a boil over medium heat, stir constantly with the the spatula. Just to a boil means you start seeing bubbles in the sugar and this is when you take it off the heat (you will be stirring constantly for a few minutes).
B) Once it is off the heat, stir in 1 cup of heaping peanut butter until it is creamy.
- Then, slowly add the cereal one cup at a time and stir it with a spatula until it becomes really crunchy.
- The recipe calls for 6 cups of cereal but add as much as you would like. This only affects the crunchiness of the bars (The more cereal, the crunchier it is).
- Quickly press this into the greased pan (if you wait long it is really hard to shape the cereal-peanut butter mix nicely into the pan)
Step 2: Create the Peanut Butter- Chocolate Topping:
A. Add 1⁄2 cup of NESTLÉ TOLL HOUSE Chocolate Morsels and 1⁄2 cup of NESTLÉ TOLL
HOUSE Butterscotch Flavored Morsels in a microwave safe bowl
- Microwave chocolate for 15 second and stir the chocolate with a spatula.
- Keep microwaving the chocolate for 15 seconds until it is melted, see Picture 13.
B. Spread the chocolate on the rice crispy base with the spatula, see Picture 14.
- Repeat this process until rice crispy base is covered with chocolate.
- You can make the chocolate as thick as you want. (took me three times)
Warning: This is tedious work, if you microwave the chocolate for much longer intervals, you could burn the chocolate.
Step 3: Cool Down
A. Once you finish spreading the chocolate, make sure to let it cool down before eating
or else the chocolate is really messy!
- While it is cooling down you can always lick the spatula and then enjoy the bars!