Introduction: Easy Beginner Phyllo Dough Recipe
I love to explore new recipes. I like to make homemade puffs. While trying to search for new pastry recipes i came across phyllo dough from mid eastern cuisine. Phyllo dough is similar to puff pastry if it is thick. I wanted to make homemade phyllo dough and sheets. The following recipe needs some time but, very easy once you try it. Lets start easy beginner phyllo dough recipe.
- 2 cups of flour
- 2 Tablespoon Oil
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup & 3 Tablespoon Tepid water
*Tepid water = 2 cup cold water + 1 cup Hot water *
Step 1: Phyllo Dough
- Sift flour and salt into a mixing bowl. Add oil and water. I added 1/2 cup of cold water and 3 tablespoon hot water.
- Stir until soft dough is formed. Then knead it in the bowl for about 10 minutes.
- Dough will feel sticky at first, but kneading will help to form a soft and smooth dough.
- When well mixed, wrap pastry in plastic wrap and leave it to rest at room temperature for about 1 hour.
- It is ready to use after 1 hour. If not all the dough is being used right away, wrap the unused portion and keep chilled in fridge up to a week.
- Always bring to room temperature before using.
Step 2: Dough Ball
- Divide the pastry into 4 equal portions, and again divide them into 4 portions.
- Shape them into smooth balls.
- Cover the dough with a cloth or plastic wrap, except the one you're working with.
- Otherwise the dough will quickly become dry and hard.
Step 3: Phyllo Sheets
- Take a ball of dough and press it into a circle.
- For me circle is easy to make than square.
- Place it on a lightly floured surface, and roll into a 6 inch circle using rolling pin.
- Dust again with flour and keep it covered.
- Make other balls into circles and layer it each on top of previous one and cover it.
- Now take the layered circles and dust with flour.
- Start rolling and don't forget to flour generously in between the sheets.
- You should wind up with thin sheets 14 inch in size and the edges can be given final stretch with the fingertips.
- As my work space is small i made 14- 15 inch sheets.
- Use soon after making and always keep it covered.
- If you want to prepare early keep wax paper between the layers.
- If you want them more thin, work with single layer.
You can use this dough for making baklava, pies, lamb pastries and mony other mid eastern sweets.
Participated in the
Be the First to Share
1 132 12K