Introduction: Electric Bike Battery Case
For our project, we started out with an electric bike with the battery and the controller on the back of the bike, on the rack. This made the bike very heavy in the back and easy to tip over. Our project is to design a box in the middle of the bike's frame under the seat so that the weight will be in the middle of the bike. The controller, since it's light, stayed secured on the back rack of the bike. Our goal of this project is to get the bike as proportionally stable as possible and to design a secure lexan box for the battery to be kept in.
The first step of this project was to take measurements of all of the bars that make up the bike.
Then, for the base of the box, we cut out divots in the lexan so that it would rest on the bars and secure itself. Then we put two pieces of wood at diagonals across the bottom of the lexan so that the lexan so would be supported even further and be able to support the weight of the battery.
The next thing we did was to figure out how to get the batter to stay on the lexan and not fall off. To do this we cut small slots in the sides of the lexan right next to the batter so that we could put a tow strap through it and secure the tow strap to the top metal bar of the frame of the bike.
Next was the sides, to figure out the sides of the bike we had to take measurements of the batter and of the base of the box to make sure the side would be correct.
The front of the box needed a hole in it so that the wires to charge the battery would fit through, we secured the wires to the top of the whole with top glue so that the battery would be easy to plug in.
On the right side of the box we made a hole in the lexane so that the switch to turn the motor on and off would be easy to reach.
The other two sides of the box were left intact. The controller was on the back rack of the bike we secured it to a piece of lexan using screws, then we drilled holes in the lexan and put zip ties through it and attached the controller to the rack. Coming out of the controller were a lot of unneeded wires. So we used shrink wrap and the heat gun to keep them together and make the project look slightly more put together.
After riding the bike the "gross" glue that we used to hold the lexan together proved that it was not about to hold.
We had to think of another idea, so we decided to make new sides of lexan and then secure them to the bottom lexan with angle brackets. This would help the lexan stay in place a lot better.
We drilled eight wood screws and angle brackets into the bottom piece of lexan.
Our goal is to be able to fit the batter in between all of the angle brackets and put the lexan sides in between the battery and the brackets.
On top of the lexan box we plan to use ABS to bend and glue over the top of the lexan box.