Introduction: Elephant Toothpaste!!!
Bored? Why not do a fun and entertaining science experiment making “Elephants Toothpaste”!? This experiment is an interactive way to have some fun making a colorful explosion. All it involves is mixing some common household products, in the correct way of course and you get a gushing flow of foam.
Step 1: Materials
½ Cup 20-volume hydrogen peroxide clear liquid (can be found at a beauty supply store)
1 tablespoon (one packet) of dry yeast
3 tablespoon of warm water (microwave time)
Liquid dish washing to soap (dawn or doesn’t matter)
8-10 drops of food coloring
Goggles and gloves
Empty bottle (We are using a Powerade bottle)
Clorox Wipes/Paper Towels
Cup or Small Bowl
Step 2: Safety Precautions
• Put on goggles and gloves for protection. The concentrated hydrogen peroxide used in this experiment can burn skin and eyes if not protected. It can also bleach fabric so choose clothing wisely.
Step 3: Containment Procedure
• Place trash bag on counter or the surface you will be using then place cooking sheet on top of trash bag. You will keep the bottle containing all liquid materials on top of cooking sheet throughout the experiment.
Step 4: Pour Hydrogen Peroxide
• Pour ½ cup of hydrogen peroxide into empty bottle by using the funnel.
Step 5: Add Food Coloring
• Add 8 drops of your choice of food coloring into the bottle containing the hydrogen peroxide.
Note: You may remove funnel to add food coloring if you would like
Step 6: Add Liquid Dish Soap
• Add 1 tablespoon of liquid dish soap into the bottle by using funnel and mix the solution by swishing it around.
Step 7: Clean and Prep
• Clean measuring spoon using Clorox wipes and paper towels to dry before measuring water.
• Pour 3 tablespoon of water into small bowl and place in microwave for 30 seconds.
Note: It is important to use 3 FULL tablespoons of water in this step
Step 8: Mix the Dry Yeast Into the Warm Water
• Mix the warm water and the 1-tablespoon of dry yeast in small bowl for 1 minute. This step activates the yeast
Step 9: Explosion!
·Pour yeast and water mixture into bottle containing hydrogen peroxide, food coloring, and liquid dish soap, remove the funnel then STEP BACK!
Step 10: Easy Clean Up
• To have an easy clean up wipe off foam from try onto trash bag and put bottle on trash bag and fold up trash bag then throw away!