Introduction: End Table Coastal Makeover
We’ve had this end table (and the matching coffee table) for YEARS. Here is what I did to change it’s look.
Step 1: Paint
The first thing I did was bring the table outside to my ‘workshop’, aka my yard. I had previously painted this table white some time ago but wanted to spruce it up. I used a whole can of spray paint. I love using spray paint with a built in primer.
Step 2: Apply Map
I purchased nautical map wrapping paper on Amazon to apply to the top of the table. It came with 5 sheets of paper. It is a nice thick quality, and I plan to use the left over for other projects. To adhere it to the top of the table, I cut a piece down to size, and used this spray adhesive (see pic) to glue it to the top. I flipped the paper over, layed it on my tarp, and sprayed the top 1/4 of the paper. Then I lined it up on the table, and glued it down using a smoothing tool to get rid of any bubbles. Then I continued flipping the remaining paper up, spraying a little at a time, until the whole piece was glued to the table. Afterwards, I continued using the smoothing tool to make sure all the bubbles were gone from the piece and then I left it to dry overnight. It looked awesome!
However, the next morning there were lots of bubbles that came out of nowhere and I got a little freaked out. But, I remembered this same thing happening when I added a map to another piece a few years ago. To try to get rid of the bubbles, I applied 3 coats of Mod Podge to the top and kept smoothing out the bubbles as best I could in between coats. I used a rolling pin, and the smoothing tool. I even popped a few bubbles with a pin. Some of them were stubborn! I kept thinking, OMG what did I do, this looks terrible. Anyway, after it sat and dried, most of the bubbles magically disappeared! Phew!!! It is not perfect, but it looks WAY better.
Above is the progression of bubbles…
Step 3: Add Rope
To complete the nautical look I added a rope around the edge of the map. I used elmers all purpose glue to adhere the rope to the table. After I put the glue on, I held it in place while my husband nailed in some Brad Nails to make sure it was really secure.
Step 4: Polyuerthane
Lastly, I applied 2 coats of this MinWax polyuerthane to the entire piece to protect the surface.
Annnnnnddddd, here is the finished product.
I was thinking about selling it, but it looks so much better this way so I may keep it instead.
Participated in the