Introduction: Endive and Fruit Salad With Chicken Breast
Belgian endive was mistakenly discovered in the early 1830 by a man in Belgium who had forgotten he had left chicory roots in the dark warm cellar. The chicory had sprouted fat, yellow leaves; the man tasted them and found they had a great deal of flavor thus he began growing them.
Today they are grown throughout the world. It grows quite well in California (USA) where the winters are mild and the climate is perfect to yield a nice crop of Belgian endive.
The health benefits of endive are:
1. Excellent food to help lower and maintain the correct level of bad cholesterol which is beneficial for a healthy cardiovascular system.
2. It is a very good source for folate which is beneficial in helping to protect against birth defects.
3. Contains a good amount of Vitamin C which is essential in having a strong and healthy immune system.
4. Good source of calcium, adding this food to your diet can help strengthen your bones and teeth.
5. Excellent source for getting dietary fiber which is essential to keep a healthy digestive system and protect against constipation.
6. Endive has been used medicinally to help dissolve kidney stones, also has been used as a laxative, and is a natural diuretic.
It contains good amounts of many essential B-complex groups of vitamins such as folic acid, pantothenic acid (vitamin B-5), pyridoxine (vitamin B-6) and thiamin (vitamin B-1), niacin (B-3). These vitamins are essential in the sense that body requires them from external sources to replenish and required for fat, protein, and carbohydrate metabolism.
Endive can be used in stir-fries as well as served raw by adding it to salads.
That is what we have done here, added endive raw to a salad: Endive and fruit Salad with Chicken.
For more Salads as a Main meal with Chicken added link here: Savor the Food and Your Health and click "Salads as a Main Course"
Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Face Book
Join our group at Google+
Check out what we've pinned at Pinterest
Thanks for your time and viewing our Instructable. Eat and Be Healthy!!
Nutrition and You