Introduction: Everyday Natural Makeup Tutorial
Makeup is something known to all of us, however, it is so easy to go overboard with it. In this blog, I wish to share my everyday makeup tips and tricks!
Don't be afraid and explore your creativity!!
Moisturizer - Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel $15.63
Sunscreen - Cetaphil Daylong SPF 30 $13.98
Concealer - Benefit Boi-ing Cakeless $22.00
BB Cream - Maybelline Dream Satin $9.97
Bronzer - TrendItUp Natural Glow $4.33
Eyebrows - ABH Dip Brow Pomade $32.34
Eyeshadow - Morphe 39A $42.18
Eyeliner - L'Oreal Superliner $11.00
Mascara - Gucci Eye Infinite Length Mascara 010 Black Ink $50.00
Highlighter - Benefit Dandelion Twinkle $34.62
Brushes - BH Cosmetics Metal Rose 11 Brush Set $30.00
Step 1: Skin Care and Skin Prep
If you want to create a beautiful makeup look, it is first essential to get your face ready and fresh before the application.
- Firstly, I would advise you to cleanse your face using a light, hydrating cleanser and pat your face dry with a microfiber towel. Daily facial cleansing removes bacteria, pollutants, viruses, and old skin cells, which allow your skin to feel and look fresh, as well as, preventing acne-causing build up.
- Next, apply your favorite moisturizing that will keep your face hydrated all day long, under any face makeup you will apply. Moisturizing is essential for maintaining the health of your skin cells and prevents acne breakouts caused by makeup products.
- If you are doing a day makeup look, it is absolutely crucial to apply sunscreen. SPF 30+. Sunscreen protects your skin from the harmful ultraviolet ray, and prevent sun damage - discoloration, dark spots, sagging and wrinkles.
Products I use: Neutrogena Hydro Boost Hydrating Cleansing Gel
Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel Moisturizer
Eucerin SPF 30 sunscreen
Tip: Use a cleanser with hyaluronic acid for maintaining skin hydration and plumping the face.
Step 2: Eyebrows
Personally, I begin my makeup routine with my eyebrows. Since I am a blonde, locating my eyebrows from the start allows me to fully see my face right away. Understanding your eyebrow look and product takes time and trial-and-testing. Maintaining a brow can establish a great look that shapes your face and enhances the overall appearance.
I create my eyebrows by:
- Using a spoolie to brush out the brow hairs in one direction.
- Using an angled brow brush and a tiny bit of dip brow product I create the shape of my brow.
- I do not alter the shape of my natural brow but rather go over the hairs filling in any spaces to make the eyebrows look full and well-shaped.
- It is important to see that the shape of your brows is the same. But remember: eyebrows are not twins, they are sisters.
Tip: Go to the salon once and get your brows shaped, this will make it so much easier for you to maintain a good brow shape.
Product: The Face Shop Angled Bamboo Brush and Spoolie
Anastasia Beverly Hills Dip Brow Pomade in Blonde
Alternative Products: Lancôme Brow Density (powder-to-cream), Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Powder Duo (powder), Benefit Gimme Brow (Gel)
Step 3: Base Face
Now, I got into my face makeup. Since this is a daily makeup routine, the face makeup is very lightweight and only there to cover up any small imperfections.
- First, I use a lighter color concealer to go over my undereye area, nose bridge, and center of the forehead. Additionally, if any pimples are present I cover them too using the tip of my finger. I blend the concealer using a wide high-density foundation brush, using pouncing motions, to give the face an airbrushed look.
- Next, I use a BB cream on my cheeks to give my face a more blended look. Once again, I use a brush to blend it in, however, I blend using circular motions.
Products: Benefit Boi-ing Cakeless Concealer in 2
Maybelline Dream Satin BB Cream
Step 4: Bronzing
Bronzing is used to emulate a sun-kissed look and add warmth to your face, making your skin look alive, radiant, and healthy. Bronzing is also a way to contour but very naturally and lightly.
- Apply bronzer using a wide powder brush to your cheek dermal, jawline, and forehead. Make sure to blend upwards to give the face a more elevated look.
- I also apply bronzer to the side of my nose bridge and create a circle around the tip of my nose, in order to enhance the shape of my nose and make it appear smaller. I use a small blending brush for this.
Products: Trend It Up Natural Glow Matte Bronzer
BH Cosmetics Metal Rose Brushes
Step 5: Eyeshadow
Eyeshadow is a very simple way to enhance any makeup look. It is commonly used to make the eyes pop out or add depth and dimension to the face. However, it is very easy to go overboard with eyeshadow, that's why I advise to stick to matte browns and peaches, whether cool or warm-toned (this depends on your skin tone).
- Apply a light peach all of the lid, followed by a darker brown on the outer corner.
- Blend the colors together with a wide blending brush in circular motions
- Apply a silver/gold glitter in the center of the eyelid, pat it on with your finger and blend the edges using a blending brush.
-Lastly, apply a light-colored highlight in the inner corner, to make your eyes appear larger.
Product: Morphe 39A Dare to Create Artistry palette
Benefit Dandelion Twinkle Powder Highlight
Products I recommend: Urban Decay Naked Heat Palette, Huda Beauty Nude Obsessions
Step 6: Addition: Eyeliner
Applying eyeliner could beautifully define the eye and really make the lashes appear fuller and brighter. For a natural look, I recommend wearing either eyeliner or eyeshadow, not both, as this makes the look very overdone. Applying eyeliner could be hard but here are some tips I recommend.
- Apply liquid eyeliner with an angled brush, this gives you more control of the wing.
- If you have hooded eyelids, draw the wing first and line the lash line beneath the eyelid. This defines the lash line whilst still keeping the line thin and connected with the wing.
- Use a little bit of tape to help you draw a sharp wing.
- Practice, practice, practice!!!
Product: L'Oreal Super Liner Perfect Slim in Black
Step 7: Mascara
Mascara is a very simple step. It is used to define the eye and darken the natural eye.
- Simply, use the mascara wand to apply the product directly onto the lashes.
- Make sure to coat the lashes from the roots to the tip.
Product: Gucci Eye Infinite Length Mascara
Products I recommend: Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara, Essence Lash Princess
Step 8: Highlight
Highlight is the opposite of contouring, it reflects light and accentuates the high points of one's face. Highlight brings the perception of depth and angles to the face and makes your face seem brighter and fresher. Highlight comes in many formulas, I find the powder form the easiest to work with. However, a solid highlighter could be helpful to create an almost wet, natural glow.
- Apply highlight to the tops of your cheekbones, tip of the nose, bridge of the nose, under the brow and on the cupid's bow.
Product: Benefit Dandelion Twinkle Powder Highlight
Products I recommend for the "wet" glow: Benefit Watt's Up Highlight
Step 9: Lips
Our last step in this very easy and simple routine is lips! In order to achieve a natural look, keeping the lips a natural color would be the best. However, a nice butter lipgloss or shimmer chapstick never hurt nobody. If you do wish to add color to your lips, using a nice sheer tint would be a very natural choice.
- Apply, a thin layer of lip gloss or chapstick, just enough to cover your lips.
- Pat your lips together to blend the product.
Product: Dior Lip Maximizer
Products I recommend: Lucas' Papaw Ointment (my holy grail chapstick), Berrisom Oops Lip Tint
Step 10: Safety
Safety is essential as makeup is worn every day, thus it must contain only safe ingredients that do not act as irritators, although some makeup companies continue to include them in their products. These ingredients could be found labeled on makeup products.
Fragrance: Fragrances in makeup products typically are made up of chemicals that can irritate the skin as well as cause more serious issues such as, asthma, allergies and hormone disruption (Beauty, Frends).
Parabens: Parabens are used in 70 to 90% of makeup products, however, they are highly toxic. These preservative chemicals mimic estrogen and weaken your hormones, this leads to breast and skin cancer. Parabens are easily absorbed thus the toxins go straight into your system (Beauty, Frends).
Triclosan: An antimicrobial chemical which is used in soaps. It is linked with thyroid issues (Beauty, Frends).
Sodium Laureth Sulfate: Commonly used in the foundation and is used to allow the product to absorb into skin and hair better, however, this product is commonly contaminated with cancer causes and influences skin irritation and severe sores and damage (Beauty, Frends).
Retinyl: This ingredient has anti-aging properties and is often used in night creams, since when in contact with sunlight it becomes a cause of cancer (Beauty, Frends).
Petroleum distillates: Used commonly in mascara, and is an ingredient which is linked with cancer development. This chemical is of a similar structure as auto fuel and heating oil. Petroleum causes irritation and dermatitis (Beauty, Frends).
Phthalates: A chemical used in color cosmetics and causes endocrine disruption and reproductive toxicity(Beauty, Frends).
Lead: Lead is commonly used in lipsticks and causes illnesses linked with the reproductive and hormonal system (Beauty, Frends).
Remember: Wash your brush every 2-4 weeks and never use expired makeup!!!
Beauty, Frends. “Know What's in Your Makeup: Top Ingredients to Avoid.” Frends Beauty Blog, 2019, www.frendsbeauty.com/blog/entry/know-what-s-in-yo...