Introduction: Fast and Easy Wall Art
I had a large blank space on my wall I needed to fill. I had a compulsion, in fact.
It had to be something big enough to fill the space, but versatile enough to suit my ever-changing decor needs.
So what do I create? Fabric rectangles. They took me about 15 minutes to make. And, great news for frequent movers or renters, they're fundamentally temporary. They're lightweight and easily changeable. But they look fabulous.
a few cardboard boxes
fabric (enough to cover your cardboard)
Step 1: Cut Cardboard
I had two boxes that were the same size, so I just cut two sides from one box and one side from the other to create three equally sized rectangles.
Cut your cardboard to your liking. Nicely proportioned rectangles are always aesthetically pleasing.
For a focal piece, I recommend an odd number. 3 or 5 should be great, depending on wall size.
Tip: To get your cardboard shapes to be the same size, cut one, then lay it over the top of your cardboard and trace around it with a marker. If you cut inside the lines, you should end up with the same sized pieces.
Step 2: Cut Fabric
I laid a piece of the cardboard on my fabric and cut around it allowing an extra 2 or 3 inches around the perimeter.
Step 3: Attach Fabric
To attach your fabric:
1) Lay your cardboard on top of your fabric.
2) Fold the top side down. Stick a pin straight into the cardboard at each end.
3) Fold the bottom side up. Stick a pin straight into the cardboard at each end.
4) Fold each corner in like you're wrapping a present. See pictures for help.
5) Take the pins out of one side. Fold that side over onto the cardboard.
6) Pin those fabric corners along the fold. Pin as much as you need to keep the fabric from loosening.
7) Take the pins out of the other side. Fold that side over onto the cardboard.
8) Pin those fabric corners along the fold. Pin as much as you need to keep the fabric from loosening.
Step 4: Fast and Easy Wall Art!
Turn it over, and attach it to your wall.
I used clear push pins, but you can use nails or tape or whatever you want. They're so lightweight, you can use anything.