Introduction: Foolproof French Macarons
Hey momoluvers! It's momo and today I'm baking and this is my absolute favorite thing to bake! I'm making macaroons today. I previously made a recipe for raspberry flavored macaroons, but today I wanted to make another flavor.
I took a class for macaroons last year at Sur La Table and ever since then I've been trying new macaroons and perfecting my methods. I hope y'all enjoy this tutorial, it's the first baking one I've done in a while.
Denver to vote for the baking contest, I really appreciate it!
Step 1: Supplies
For the macaroon shell
1. 3 eggs (room temperature)
2. 1/4 cup granulated sugar
3. 1 2/3 cup powdered sugar
4. 1 cup finely ground almond meal
For the filling
1. 1/2 cup powdered sugar
2. 2 tbsp softened butter
3. 1 tbsp cocoa powder
4. 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
Step 2: Prep
Line a baking sheet with a silicon baking mat with circle templates. If you don't have this, you can purchase it here: http://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Macaron-macaroon-Baking-Chocolate/dp/B00A8WJ70Y
If you want to use resources already accessible, you can use parchment paper (not wax paper) and draw circles with a cookie cutter.
Step 3: Sift It! Sift It Real Good
1. Sift the almond flour about 1/3 cup at a time.
2. Sift the powdered sugar 1/3 cup at a time.
3. When all of the dry ingredients are sifted in, whisk them lightly to combine.
TIP 1: Make sure you sift it as much as possible, because the light powdery remains will make your cookies smooth on the top
Step 4: Meringue
1. Put egg whites in an electric mixer.
2. Turn the speed up to high and whisk until your egg whites are foamy
3. Add a little bit of granulated sugar and whisk again. Keep adding little by little until you have a light and fluffy meringue.
4. If desired, add gel food coloring and whisk until the color is evenly distributed.
TIP 2: Make sure your egg whites are room temperature. There are two ways to do this:
~ let them sit overnight in a bowl
~put them in a bowl of hot water. Every 2 minutes, change out the water because the eggs will cool it down. Change the water about 5-6 times.
Step 5: Fold It All In
1. Put the dry ingredients into the meringue about 1/3 at a time. This is where everything can go wrong. If you over mix, the macarons will be flat and not have the pied. Which are the little 'feet' slog the bottom of the macaron. If you under mix, the cookies will break and crack.
TIP 3: To get the perfect batter, sift in about 1/3 of the batter and fold it about 10-15 times. In total, you should fold the batter about 60-70 times.
Step 6: Piping and Decorating!
1. Pour all of the batter into the piping bag and use a clip to seal the top.
2. Pipe little circles onto the pan.
3. Decorate how you like. I'm shaking poppy seeds onto the tops of the macarons.
TIP 4: Tap the tray on the counter. Tapping it on the counter will release air bubbles that can crack the cookies and make it uneven.
Step 7: Baking
TIP 5: Let the macarons sit out for about 30-40 minutes. This will make the macarons harder on the top which creates the legendary crunchy layer hugging the fondant heart.
1. Preheat the oven to 285 degrees.
2. Cook for about 15 minutes. In the last 3 minutes of baking, crack the door to let out the steam so they won't burn.
Step 8: Cool It
1. Take the pan out of the oven and place it on the stovetop to cool.
2. Let the cookies cool for about 15-20 minutes before you remove them.
Step 9: Filling
1. Add all of the ingredients in a medium sized bowl. Stir it with a rubber spatula.
2. Put all of the filling in a plastic bag and cut the tip of it.
Step 10: Pipe It Out
1. Cover the bottom of the cookie in the filling.
2. Sandwich two cookies together that are about the same size.
Step 11: Finished!
And you're done! This is a pretty long tutorial and is going to take several attempts to perfect. Remember to be patient and take your time because eventually, these picky cookies will meet their match! I hope y'all enjoyed this tutorial and the tips.
Remember to vote for the baking contest. I appreciate it! If you haven't already, subscribe to the farm family and give a cow its wings. Love y'all •_£
1 Person Made This Project!
- FardosaH made it!