Introduction: Tutorial to Interface GSM SIM900A With Arduino
SIM900A Modem is built with Dual Band GSM/GPRS based SIM900A modem from SIMCOM. It works on frequencies 900/ 1800 MHz. SIM900A can search these two bands automatically. The frequency bands can also be set by AT Commands. The baud rate is configurable from 1200-115200 through AT command. The GSM/GPRS Modem is having internal TCP/IP stack to enable you to connect with internet via GPRS. SIM900A is an ultra compact and reliable wireless module. This is a complete GSM/GPRS module in a SMT type and designed with a very powerful single-chip processor integrating AMR926EJ-S core, allowing you to benefit from small dimensions and cost-effective solutions.
Dual-Band 900/ 1800 MHz
GPRS multi-slot class 10/8GPRS mobile station class B
Compliant to GSM phase 2/2+
Dimensions: 24*24*3 mm
Control via AT commands (GSM 07.07 ,07.05 and SIMCOM enhanced AT Commands)
Supply voltage range : 5V
Low power consumption: 1.5mA (sleep mode)
Operation temperature: -40°C to +85 °
Step 1: Material Preparation
In this tutorial, you will need :
1. GSM SIM900A (MINI V3.9.2)
2. Arduino Uno Board and USB
3. Jumper Wire
4. Power adapter 5V
5. SIM card
Step 2: Booting Up SIM900A
1. Insert your SIM card to GSM module and lock it. (picture 1 and 2)
2. power up your gsm by connecting it to Arduino's 5V and GND (picture 3)
3. Connect the Antenna (picture 4)
4. Now wait for some time (say 1 minute) and see the blinking rate of ‘status LED’ or ‘network LED’ (D6, refer picture 5) //GSM module will take some time to establish connection with mobile network//
5. Once the connection is established successfully, the status/network LED will blink continuously every 3 seconds. You may try making a call to the mobile number of the sim card inside GSM module. If you hear a ring back, the gsm module has successfully established network connection.
Step 3: Pin Connection
You can see a TTL pin with 3VR, 3VT, 5Vr, 5VT, VCC and GND on your sim900a near your power supply pin. You have to connect GSM's 5VT to Arduino D9 and GSM's 5VR to Arduino's D10 for serial communication between arduino and sim900a module.
Step 4: Basic AT Command
1. To change sms sending mode : AT+CMGF=1
2. To read SMS in text mode : AT+CNMI=2,2,0,0,0
3. To make a call : ATD+60XXXXXXXXX; //replace X with number you want to call, change +60 to your country code
4. To disconnect / hangup call : ATH
5. To redial : ATDL
6. To receive a phone call : ATA
Step 5: Library
SoftwareSerial is a library of Arduino which enables serial data communication through other digital pins of Arduino. The library replicates hardware functions and handles the task of serial communication. To be able to interface gsm module with arduino, you will have to download this library and extract it into your Arduino's libraries.
Step 6: Sample Source Code
Download the sample source code below and open it on your Arduino IDE. Select the correct board and port and upload it into your Arduino Uno Board.
Step 7: Serial Monitor
After you has succesfully uploaded your source code, open your serial monitor. Serial monitor will display as shown in the picture above.
Step 8: Result : Call / Redial
1. As you key-in c : to make a call, gsm will read the ATD command and make a call to a phone number you have upload in your source code. (Picture 1 and 2)
2. When you key-in h : to disconnect/hangup call, gsm will read the ATH command and disconnect the connection. (Picture 3)
3. When you key-in e : to redial, gsm will read the ATDL command and redialing previous number it has called.(Picture 4)
4. When there is an incoming call, you can see RING printed on serial monitor and you can click i : to receive a call and GSM's ATA command will be carried out and you will be connected to a call connection. (Picture 5)
Step 9: Result : Send and Receive SMS
1. Key-in s to send SMS. Recepient's number and text message printed on serial monitor. NOTE : You can edit the recepient's phone number and text message on your source code.
2. When gsm receive a message, text message and number will be printed on serial monitor.
Step 10: Video Demonstration
This video shows how SIM900A MINI make a call, receive a call, send sms, receive sms, redial and hangup call based on the sample source code uploaded in this tutorial.