Introduction: Giant Decorative Bow Paper Pendant Lamp
Another lamp? Tell me you asked this question the moment you saw it. :) Ok, so before you answer that my dear friend, tell me , isn't it looking awesome :).
The story behind this lamp came from this forum topic.
A new citizen (you are the reason I posted this my friend ) wanted to make a lamp (I guess from Ikea) and asked for help in our forums. So there are two reasons I posted this ible.
- It was a Lamp and I knew I can make it.
- I really wanted to help (Even though this thought came later to my mind... LOL)
This lamp in my opinion is nothing but a giant decorative bow which you would make to probably gift(A giant stretchable pajama I guess ) something to HULK... ha ha ha.
You may have seen many methods for making a decorative bow, but here I am going to show you a different one.
Step 1: Stuff You Would Need
- Big sheets of thick paper or card paper of your favorite color (just remember that dark colors in thick sheet are not the best choice). Mine was 37"x23"
- A sharp scissor.
- A ruler
- A Pencil
- Craft glue like Elmer's or Fevicol
- Some lighting arrangement.
- Something to punch a hole (you can use hole punch from screw driver set), I have a eyelet punch set, I used that one.
- A plastic small tube or pipe , around 1". I used a piece of fish tank air pipe.
- Our best friend patience.
Step 2: Some Giant Preparations
NOTE: Before you do this, I would suggest you to practice this using small satin ribbons or paper ribbon. So that you can handle the big size while making.
To make this lamp we would need long wide (around 2") strips.
See images above and follow:
- I drawn several 2" wide lines on the paper
- Then cut them and glued them together. While gluing each strip with another, wait for few seconds for the glue to bond with paper
- In the end you will have a very long strip
I cut around 11 strips, each 37" long. After gluing all , I got 407" length of strip which is around 33.9 Feet. (I told ya it will be giant)
NOTE: you must be wondering, why joining to make a jumbo single strip, I have seen them making smaller bows and joining them together?
A long strip gives you flexibility to adjust the size of petals as you make the bow, also you don't have to worry about size and proportions of each petal, they will shape just fine. Trust me, once you learn this method, you will never return to "cut into pieces and glue together"
All right, lets jump now into the most interesting part. The Giant making. :D
Step 3: The Giant Making
Grab your glue bottle and your giant strip. See images above and follow:
- Start making a single petal of bow , glue the end to form a big loop (see second image). The length of this petal was around 11", you can decide your own but outer petals should be longer.
- Now twist the strip to make another petal, glue at the place where the strip intersects.
- Repeat like 1 to make another petal, you will notice that the petal is formed close to the previous petal. Glue it.
- Keep making petals one after another.
- NOTE: Every time you glue, press the join using your palm for few seconds and wait for few seconds for glue to bond with paper before you make another petal.
- Keep making petals by filling spaces between petals. As the bow become dense you need to gradually reduce the size of petals to fit inside (see there is no need to be accurate here)
- TRICK: If you have to fill a gap to the left, then twist the strip to the left, if you have to fill at the right, then twist the strip to the right
- When you reach the end of the strip, snip it using scissor and make sure the end is glued. Put some heavy object like a paper weight in the middle of the bow and wait for glue to dry for several minutes.
Tada... you just made the giant decorative bow. You can stop here if you wish and use this bow to decorate the giant gift you are about to give to someone special :D or you can proceed as intended.
Step 4: Lighting the Giant
I will be honest I could have done the lighting in a better way but I chose to be quick & dirty with whatever was available with me. See images above and follow:
- Punch a hole in the middle of the lamp, where all strips are glues. The hole should be wide enough to let the plastic tube pass through. I punched using eyelet punch tool and later widen it using screw driver.
- Insert the plastic tube through the hole.
- You have to remove the wire from the socket pin of the lighting arrangement so that you can insert that wire from inside the lamp and pull it outside though the plastic tube. After that you can reattach it .
- Remember it is paper , so use low watt CFL or LED bulbs to light it up.
Voila...and you are done. You just made an awesome giant paper bow pendant lamp.
Thank you so much for your time. Should you have any feedback, questions or suggestions, please add them in the comments below. I hope you enjoyed this ible as much as I did while making it.
I hope you like it and vote it.
You are awesome.
Stay tuned :)