Introduction: Globe Knot With Monkeys Fist Center (or Marble)
For this knot you will need:
- 3-4m of thin rope
- a toilet roll tube
- marble (optional)
Using a marble makes the whole knot tighter whereas the monkeys fist makes the knot look a bit like an atom.
Its personal preference which one you decide to make!
Step 1: Making the Monkeys Fist
- Tie an overhand knot near to the end of the rope and grip it between your 2nd and 4th fingers.
- Wrap the rope around the knot 3 times.
- Tuck the end behind and back through your fingers to the left of the knot.
- Wrap the rope around the knot 3 times horizontally and then remove it from your fingers.
- Tuck the rope through the top loop in the knot and do 3 more vertical wraps going through the loops.
- You now need to tighten the knot. Find the very first wrap you did, where the rope connects to the knot in the centre and pull the slack through until your knot is tight.
- Finally, cut off the tail of the rope with a knife and burn the ends.
Step 2: Making the Globe Knot
- Get your toilet roll tube and starting from the middle of the rope, wrap the rope around the tube 4 times.
- Take the right tail and thread it through the wraps (over, under, over, under).
- Take the other tail over the first tail and thread it (under, over, under, over).
- Take the left tail to the bottom of the knot and follow the weave pattern of the bottom rope (under, over, under, over).
- Take the top tail to the top of the knot and follow the weave pattern of the top rope (over, under, over, under).
- Make sure there is a bit of space between the weaves and take the right tail just below the top weave and do the opposite of the weave pattern (under, over, under, over).
- Take the top tail over the top of the other tail to just above the bottom weave and again do the opposite of the weave pattern (under (the loop), over, under, over, under, over).
- At the very top of the knot there should be one gap. Take the right tail and weave it (under, over, under, over).
- Slide the knot off the tube and drop the monkeys fist down into it.
- Tighten the knot around the monkeys fist by starting at one tail and pulling the slack through the rest of the knot (like with the monkeys fist).
- You now have a completed globe knot with a monkeys fist centre!
Step 3: With a Marble
If you want to have a smaller, tighter knot, you can disregard the tube and tie the knot around your finger. it works exactly the same as with the monkeys fist, it just might be a bit more fiddly!
Participated in the
Rope & String Speed Challenge