Introduction: Grandma Bucy's Potato Salad
INGREDIENTS – Makes 8-12 servings
2-3 lbs of potatoes, peeled and diced (I prefer a potato with a smooth skin, it seems like the ones with the rough skin, sometimes fall apart or become all mushy when you cook them)
7 hard boiled eggs, chopped
3-4 stalks celery chopped into small pieces
½ to a whole onion chopped fine (dependent upon your taste)
¼ cup chopped sweet pickles (some people use pickle relish, but I prefer the actual pickles chopped, or at least sweet salad cube pickles)
½-1 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
1-2 cups of mayonnaise
1. Place eggs in a pan and cover with cold water. When the water starts to boil, reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for about a minute . Turn the heat off, let stand for about 20 minutes or longer if you are busy. You just want them cool enough that you can peel them and chop them without getting burned.
2. Peel the eggs, and chop into small pieces.
3. At the same time you put the eggs on to boil, place the potatoes into a large boiler pan and cover with water. Bring them to a boil, let them boil rapidly for 5-10 minutes or so, lower heat and simmer until a fork stuck in the largest potato easily pierces the potato.
4. Let the potatoes cool somewhat so they can be handled, take a knife and gently remove the peeling from the potatoes, the peeling will almost fall off, you really don’t have to cut it, you just kind of pull it off.
5. Chop the potatoes into bite sized pieces and place in a large bowl.
6. Add the other ingredients to the bowl with the potatoes.
7. Stir gently until all items are thoroughly mixed.
8. Stores well in refrigerator for several days.
9. For decoration (like when you want to use it for a special occasion) you can slice up one of the boiled eggs to put on top, add a sprinkling of paprika, or some bell pepper slices in pretty colors to dress up, or even some sliced olives (black or green with red pimentos)
I like to eat this potato salad as soon as it is prepared, while it is still warm, some people prefer it cold, whichever way you like it, it is delicious.
My husband likes mustard in his potato salad, but since the rest of us don’t he puts the potato salad on his plate and adds a little mustard when he eats it.
Hope you enjoy!