Introduction: HOW TO SEW YOUR OWN WEFTS
This quick tutorial demonstrates how to sew your own homemade wefts into a garment.
If you need a detailed tutorial on how to pattern make and sew, you can check out my previous Instructables.
-Loom or wooden plate w/nails
-your finished pattern
-your finished weft
- fusible interface
- sewing machine
-needle, thread and pins
-zipper or buttons
- fabric scissors
- fabrics of choice (optional)
Step 1: WEAVE YOUR DESIGN
- If you don't own a loom, you can just hammer nails into a wooden plate.
- Beginner-friendly patterns include stripes, plaid, houndstooth, colour blocking or just plain solid colour.
- I like to start with waste yarn (the neon orange yarn as pictured) so that the weft won't unravel when removing it.
- Don't worry too much about straight edges, it will be irrelevant when sewing.
- When you're done, cut off the strings and make knots to fix the weft.
Step 2: PREPARE FOR SEWING
Don't skip this part!
You want to use fusible interfacing, for woven fabrics!
Step 3: Cut and Assemble Design
Now that you have interfacing on your weft, you can cut through it, sew it, and manipulate it as you would with store-bought fabric!
Participated in the
Fiber Arts Contest