Introduction: He Man Power Sword - DIY
Yes, while on lockdown due to the COVID-19 pandemic, I decided to make the He Man Power Sword. It was wasn't challenging and it was cheap it build. I am apologizing upfront for the lack of images. I am new to this community. There is one step I wish I took pictures of. I will try to explain it as best as I can.
- 1 large sheet of foam core board
- 1 sheet of poster board - for the template
- New razor blades
- 1/2 dia 8inch PVC
- 3ft wooden dowel
- Dremel tool with sanding tip
- Unmarked Aluminum tape (metal tape, not duct tape)
- 80 and 120 grit sandpaper
- EVA mat foam
- 1inch styrofoam spheres - 4 1/5 total spheres needed
- 5 popsicle sticks
- Devcon 5min epoxy
- Black acrylic paint
Step 1: Planning, Measuring, and Templating
This took some time. I used the poster paper to draw and cut out my template. You can download ones online, but I don't have a printer. Next, use the poster template and trace it onto your foam core board TWICE. Also, cut out 2 separate diamond or spade shape in the center of the sword.
This is IMPORTANT.
Once you have these 4 pieces (2 main sword pieces front and back, and the 2 diamond parts) cut this in half, right down the center. This will give you right and left - front half, and right and left - back half.
This is the step I am miss from the images. You will need to Dremel down with the sanding bit, the blade edge. This is so that then you but the front and back together it will create a knife-like edge. (I hope that makes sense)
Step 2: Taping...
Start with the 2 front right and left pieces. Holding the two pieces together slightly angled at a 25-30 degree pitch, add a long piece of aluminum tape on the center seam. Repeat this for the back-side. Do the same for the diamond parts for later.
The Sword has a strong center ridge. Once you place the wooden dowel between the front and back and holding the blade edges together tightly, (I needed another persons help) start taping them together.
Don't worry too much about the tape wrinkles, because you can smooth them out later with a popsicle stick.
NOTE: I did end up removing the handle-looking side parts to create separately.
Step 3: Side Handles
I created the side handles using 2 styrofoam 1inch spheres, I cut in half. I cut out the connecting bars 4 total pieces 2 front and 2 back. It wasn't thick enough, so I cut out, the same shape out of EVA mat foam - but only a right and left side. I then sandwiched the EVA foam between the 2 pieces of foam core board - epoxying them together. Next, I glued the styrofoam halves as seen in the images.
Attaching them to the sword I used popsicle sticks. I sliced open a tiny slit in the EVA foam between the spheres. I epoxied the popsicle stick into the slit. I made another slit into the sword, so I could attach the 2 side handles with more epoxy.
Step 4: Completing the Hilt, and Start Taping
I completed the hilt (handle) with a piece of PVC pipe and EVA foam rings at the top and base, with a half styrofoam sphere on the bottom. Cover it all with aluminum tape and smooth them out as best as you can.
Now, TAKE YOUR TIME, cover the whole sword with aluminum tape. Once it is completely covered, use a popsicle stick to smooth out any wrinkles. Then use the 80 and 120 git sandpaper to smooth out any high seams. Once it was smooth I added another final layer of tape.
The Diamond/Spade Decorative Part - Once I taped it, I then epoxied it to the main sword.
Step 5: Aging and Finishing
Lastly, I aged the sword with black acrylic paint. I watered the paint down and used a paper towel to wipe away the excess to create an aged look.