Introduction: How to Build a Hidden Jewelry Cabinet Out of a Mirror!
Initially it was as simple as making a box out of 1x4s. I made the box a touch smaller then the mirror and reinforced it with steel brackets for strength. I also added the board inset across the top for hanging necklaces from. It didn’t look like much of a jewelry cabinet at this point but I knew it would! From there I painted the box and then set to work on the mirror. It came with multiple sets of hardware on the back that I removed. I saved the screws and reused them (VERY CAREFULLY!!) for screwing the hinges on the back. I chose just small and simple hinges for this project because the mirror was not terribly heavy.
With the box painted and the mirror ready to attach I picked up some black felt for the back. Where I couldn’t staple the felt (because of the steel brackets) I just used glue. I stretched it tight, attached, then cut off the excess fabric. From there I got to work adding the little hooks for all of her jewelry. Across the top I used a ruler, spacing every hook one and a half inches a part and then just a hammer and a nail to help the hooks start, my thumbs are still sore from screwing all those in I think lol.
The lower hooks I put in the sides and ran jewelry wire across for all of her dangly earrings. I also added the lowest wire to give the bottom tray a little stability for all of her jewelry that she can’t hang. The little tray I just picked up for less then $2 also at walmart and it was nice for her jewelry cabinet because it had rubber feet on the bottom.
Step 1: Hang the Cabinet and Start Adding Jewelry!
Hanging the cabinet I just used sheetrock anchors and two screws through the back plate. Later I plan on coming back and painting over the screws heads so they’re white like the cabinet. I also added a little magnetic latch so the mirror snaps (and stays) shut. (Yes, I realized quite awhile ago during this process that I essentially built my mom a medicine cabinet lol.)
So far she’s really happy with it and it was such a simple project!