Introduction: How to Build a Planter Box for Herbs
I needed a planter box that wasn't very big so I could grow some rosemary and thyme. These tend to grow quite bushy, so the planter box could be too small either. The design I decided on suits it just fine, and I made it from recycled and left over wood I had already, so it didn't cost me anything.
This instructional guide and the material covered is for informational purposes only. I take no responsibility for what you do with this knowledge.
Use safety equipment when operating equipment. Take necessary precautions to avoid injuries to persons/animals and damage to property when operating equipment. Always abide by the manufacturers safety information and warnings when using equipment.
Dad-DIY.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates
Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to www.amazon.com
Tools required (linked to my recommendation)
- Circular saw, see SKIL 5280-01 15-Amp…
- Screw driver, see BLACK+DECKER 4V MAXâ€¦
- Drill, see BLACK+DECKER 20V MAX…
- Hamer, see Estwing Hammer - 16 oz Straight...
Materials required (see figure 1):
(1) Timber 2x6, Length: 7 inch (178 mm), Qty: 1
(2) Timber 2x6, 4 ft long 4 ft (1.2 meters), Qty: 1
(3) Plywood 1/2 inch thick, Length: 50.2 inches (1276 mm), Width: 3 inches (75 mm), Qty 2
(4) Plywood 1/2 inch thick, Length: 50.2 inches (1276 mm), Width: 2 inches (50 mm), Qty 4
(5) Screws, 2 inches (50mm), Qty 20
(6) Nails, 1/2 inches (25mm), Qty 20
(7) Black plastic, Length: 5 ft (1525 mm), Width: 1 ft (300 mm), Qty 1
Step 1: Instructions
- Cut a 2 x 6 piece of timber to the lengths and quantities specified for items (1) and (2) in the table above.
- Cut 1/2 inch plywood to the sizes specified and quantities for items (3) and (4) in the table above.
- Drill holes in the two items (2) and attach it to the item (1) using the 4 screws (5) , as shown in figure 2.
- Drill holes in the sides of the two plywood pieces (3) and attach it to the planer box using 8 screw (5), as shown in figure 3.
- Drill holes in the sides of the four plywood pieces (4) and attach it to the planer box using 8 screw (5), as shown in figure 4.
- Place the black plastic (7) inside the planter box. Fold the corners to make it fit, as shown in figure 5.
- Nail the black plastic (7) to the sides of the planter box using nails (6), as shown in figure 6.
- Cut holes in the black plastic for drainage.
- Fill the planter box with a layer of stones (for drainage), leaves, grass clippings at the bottom - this will breakdown to form compost over time. Add a soil mixture on top of this, suitable for the herbs or plant you will be planting. I used a half potting soil, half compost mixture for the rosemary and thyme, as shown in figure 7.
- Plant the herbs with enough space in between for growth. Give it a good soaking to settle the plants in, as shown in figure 8.
Visit www.dad-diy.com for more projects like this DIY planter box.
1 Person Made This Project!
- DadDIYcom made it!