Introduction: How to Can Green Tomatoes
Time: 30 minutes
8 pounds Green tomatoes
10 cups white vinegar
5 cups water
1 teaspoon of canning salt, per jar
3-4 cloves of garlic, per jar
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, per jar *optional
*Makes 5- 32oz jars of pickled green tomatoes
Step 1: Brine Mixture & Slice Tomatoes
1. In a large pan bring water and vinegar to a boil on high heat.
2. While brine is heating up, wash and chop tomatoes.
Step 2: Jars
1. In each jar place garlic cloves.
2. Next, add the sliced tomatoes.
3. Then add one teaspoon of canning salt and cayenne(*optional) pepper to each jar.
4. Once brine has come to a boil. Remove from heat and pour into each jar leaving 1/4 inch headspace.
5. Place lids and bands on jars.
Step 3: Vacuum Seal
1. Place jars upside down to vacuum seal the tops.
2. After they cool store upside down for up to a year.
*Great anytime you need to use tomatoes, in salads, or as a snack!
Follow us on Instagram and etsy.com @pinehillsfarm
Participated in the
Canning and Pickling Contest 2016