Introduction: How to Make Dyson Fan at Home
The smooth breeze of air flowing through a good looking small table fan placed on your work desk feels wonderful while working. The problem with most table fans is that they provide random flows of air rather than continuous breeze. Dyson overcame this problem and created a wonderful product, commonly known as "Dyson Fan" or a "Bladeless Fan".
Note: It is known as Bladeless Fan not because it doesn't have fan blades but because the fan is invisible and placed at the bottom.
In this instructable, i attempted to create a Dyson Fan at home using a cardboard and high rpm DC motor. This DIY bladeless fan looks exceptionally well and works on the same principle to produce a uniform airflow, however, it is nowhere comparable to a commercial dyson fan.
After seeing the result, it makes me believe that the attempt was well worth it. Do give a try to make this wonderful device at home, however, for best results try to keep the curvature as smooth as possible and the slit gap between both the loops should be just about 1 mm at the back.
Step 1: Watch the Video
A video is a wonderful tool that provides deep insight into the procedure and makes it easy to follow. However, also visit next steps for additional details and images.
Step 2: Order Parts
- High rpm DC Motor - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1...
- Propeller - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/...
- DC adapter - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1...
- DC adapter jack - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1...
- Switch - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/...
- Heat Shrink Tubes - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1...
- Stationary Knife - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/...
- Hot Glue Gun - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/...
- High rpm DC Motor - http://amzn.to/2wnIVEH
- Propeller - http://amzn.to/2gXUYqu
- DC adapter - http://amzn.to/2yg5DEt
- DC adapter jack - http://amzn.to/2yg1b8v
- Switch - http://amzn.to/2zldMaM
- Heat Shrink Tubes - http://amzn.to/2qfCoIR
- Stationary Knife - http://amzn.to/2q879jK
- Hot Glue Gun - http://amzn.to/2vQEINI
- High rpm DC Motor - http://amzn.to/2wdEyQS
- Propeller - http://amzn.to/2A3FPZ6
- DC adapter - https://amzn.to/2I0rbJM
- DC adapter jack - http://amzn.to/2z5JQ17
- Switch - http://amzn.to/2hrhfK5
- Heat Shrink Tubes - https://amzn.to/2KFM5vH
- Stationary Knife - http://amzn.to/2q1kb6M
- Hot Glue Gun - http://amzn.to/2rjNE9r
From Home & Local Store: Cardboard, ruler, compass, connecting wires and a mini Drill. You can use any drill or watch the video to make a mini USB Drill at home.
Step 3: Prepare the Base
- Take 4 pieces of cardboard of about 10 x 7 cm.
- Using a ruler, mark 6 equidistant points and make 6 column lines on one of the piece.
- Using a knife, cut slits along the marked lines.
- Make 2 such similar cardboard pieces with slits.
- Take another piece of cardboard and insert a switch in the bottom center.
- On the 4th cardboard piece, make a slot to insert a DC jack and secure it with hot glue.
- Using hot glue, paste all the 4 cardboard pieces together to form a square base.
Note: Refer to the images above to avoid any errors.
Step 4: Make Housing for Fan
- Place the square base made in previous step over a sheet of cardboard.
- Cut a cardboard piece that can fit inside the square from the sheet.
- Using mini PCB drill make a hole at the center of the square.
- Insert the DC motor through the hole and mark the mounting holes.
- Make mounting holes using mini drill.
- Insert the fan in the motor shaft and mark the diameter of fan on the cardboard sheet.
- Cut the cardboard piece as shown in the image above.
- Using hot glue, cover the circumference of the fan using a piece of cardboard.
- Mount the motor using screws and insert the propeller in motor shaft.
- Complete the fan housing and insert it inside the square base.
- Place the housing over a square platform made of cardboard.
Note: Make sure to watch the video and refer to the images attached above to avoid any errors.
Step 5: Make Connections
- Refer to the circuit diagram attached above and make connection between the components.
- Connect a motor terminal to the DC jack.
- Connect other motor terminal to a switch terminal.
- Connect the other switch terminal to a DC jack terminal.
- Connect a power adapter and turn the fan ON.
- Make sure that the direction of air flow is outwards, if not reverse the motor connections.
- Paste the square base over the platform as shown in the image above.
Step 6: Where Magic Happens
- On a piece of cardboard, make two circles of radius about 9 cm.
- Make concentric circles inside both the 9 cm radius circles.
- One concentric circle must be smaller than the other.
- Cut the concentric circles from the cardboard sheet.
- Using hot glue, paste long cardboard pieces along the inner circumference of both the circles such that a hat like structure is formed.
- Also, paste long cardboard pieces along the outer circumference of both the circles.
- Overlap the smaller circle above the bigger one to make a loop and secure the pieces using hot glue.
- A small circular slit will be formed along the loop at the back through which air will flow.
Note: It is quite difficult to explain this procedure in words, it is strongly recommended to watch the video to understand the procedure well.
Kindly note that it is not a real Dyson Fan and neither works like one. It is a good model for school exhibitions and demonstrating the function. The Dyson fan has well streamlined body that can circulate the air at much higher speeds. The slit in the Dyson fan is just about an mm wide and well streamlined to reduce resistance to air flow.
Step 7: Complete the Fan
- Using Hot glue, paste the circular loop over the propeller base.
- Seal the joints well to eliminate any leakage of air.
- Our Bladeless Dyson fan is now complete. Connect a 6v DC adapter and switch ON the fan. You will find a uniform flow of air from the circular loop, however, the air pressure will not be comparable to a real Dyson Fan.
So Friends, this here concludes the instructable, stay tuned and SUBSCRIBE to receive regular updates. You can also connect with me through social media Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. In case you might have missed, watch the video and see how i made this Bladeless Dyson fan model at home.
If you like my tutorials, also do consider to visit my Youtube channel GOODTECH - Creativity And Science, where i frequently post new and interesting content.
Thanks For Your Support..!!
Participated in the
Make it Move Contest