Introduction: How to Make Electric Foam Cutter
In today's world, "styrofoam" is a widely used product in DIY projects and products. In earlier days, styrofoam was cut with a stationary knife that used to produce lot of dust all around. Electric Foam cutters help in getting rid of this problem. They cut styrofoam very neatly and effectively without any dust. Electric foam cutters, commercially available are quite expensive and not everyone requires such professional tools for hobby projects.
In this Instructable, i decided to make a simple Electric foam cutter that is easy to make and is affordable. This electric foam cutter is very useful when working with hobby projects. It uses a piece of nichrome wire that gets heated up when connected to a high current battery.
Make this simple Styrofoam cutter at home in just few minutes. In case of any queries, feel free to ask & leave your valuable feedback in the comments section below.
Step 1: Order Parts
- Li-ion Battery Holder - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/...
- 3.7v Li-Ion Battery - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/...
- Toggle Switch - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1...
- Nichrome Wire - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/...
- Ice cream sticks - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1...
- Hot Glue Gun - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/...
- Soldering Iron - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1...
- Li-ion Battery Holder - https://amzn.to/2Emjef1
- 3.7v Li-Ion Battery - http://amzn.to/2npKA8m
- Toggle Switch - http://amzn.to/2hS9uNK
- Nichrome Wire - http://amzn.to/2vR0TDh
- Ice cream sticks - http://amzn.to/2ul2vVK
- Hot Glue Gun - https://amzn.to/2rAn0d8
- Soldering Iron - http://amzn.to/2r3IX6g
- Li-ion Battery Holder - http://amzn.to/2hR8Lzx
- 3.7v Li-Ion Battery - http://amzn.to/2mMlK5z
- Toggle Switch - http://amzn.to/2jJC7Aa
- Nichrome Wire - https://amzn.to/2SNXvka
- Ice cream sticks - http://amzn.to/2vL5pmD
- Hot Glue Gun - http://amzn.to/2rjNE9r
- Soldering Iron - http://amzn.to/2qC47qG
From Home & Local Store: 2 x Nuts & Bolt (1"), Super Glue and connecting wires.
Note: All the parts links above are affiliate links (from ebay and amazon) that help me earn little commissions when a product is purchased. Such earnings motivate me and makes it possible to provide the content to everyone free of cost.
Step 2: Watch the Video
A video is a great tool that provides deep insight to the procedure and makes it easy to follow. However, also visit next step for additional details and images.
Step 3: Let's Begin
- Take a 18650 Li-ion battery holder and a push button switch.
- Using Hot glue, paste the switch at the back of the holder as can be seen in the image.
- Solder a battery terminal wire to a switch terminal.
- Solder a wire to the other switch terminal.
- Secure the connections with the hot glue.
- Fix the colored cap over the push button (optional).
Step 4: Prepare Ice Cream Sticks
- Take 4 ice cream sticks.
- Using super glue, paste the 2 sticks over one another to make a thicker stick.
- Make two such pairs of thicker sticks.
- Mark a point at one of the ends of the stick.
- Using mini drill, make holes at the marked point on both the ice cream sticks.
- Using hot glue, paste the sticks on both the battery terminal.
- Make sure the battery holder wires are free to move.
Note: You can use any drill or watch the video to make a mini USB Drill at home.
Step 5: Connect Heating Element
- Take 2 bolts and fix a nut in them upto the head.
- Insert the bolts in both the holes made in the ice cream sticks.
- Secure the bolts to the stick with nuts at the back.
- Tightly connect the battery holder wires to the nuts on respective sides.
- Take a piece of nichrome wire (28 - 32 AWG) and fix the wire tightly between the sticks using the nuts.
- Make sure that the nichrome wire should not touch the wooden stick.
Note: Make sure to refer to the images above to avoid any errors.
Step 6: Test Electric Foam Cutter
Our Homemade Electric foam cutter is now ready. Insert a 18650 Li-ion cell in the holder and press the switch to heat the wire. Now, use this tool to cut styrofoam and thermocol effectively without any efforts. Make cool designs and surprise your friends.
Note: Nichrome wire has special properties due to which it provides very high resistance and act as resistive load when connected to the batteries. Make sure to not use any other wire as that will short circuit the battery and can be very dangerous.
Note: To protect the batteries from getting damaged it is important to prevent their over discharge. The most common way is to replace the batteries every 10 min or a more convenient & professional way is to connect a TP4056 (with protection) module with the battery. It will protect the battery from any damage and also make it convenient to easily charge the battery with a 5v mobile charger.
So Friends, this here concludes the instructable, stay tuned and SUBSCRIBE to receive regular updates. In case, you might have missed, watch the video and see how to make Electric Foam Cutter at home. Don't forget to leave your valuable suggestions in the comments section below.
Thanks For Your Support..!!