Introduction: How to Make Electric Pencil Sharpener
A good pencil sharpener is essential to keep your writing tools in the best physical and usable shape. The market is flooded with variety of electric pencil sharpeners but they are quite expensive for home use. So, i decided to make a simple DIY pencil sharpener with very few components that can be arranged easily.
In this instructable, we will learn How to make an Electric Pencil Sharpener at home. The manual sharpeners are best as they minimise waste, sharpen a pencil quite well and also are very economical to pocket. So, i decided to convert a manual sharpener into an electric pencil sharpener.
Step 1: Watch the Video
A video gives a very clear insight into the procedure and make all the instructions very understandable. However, make sure to visit next steps for additional details and images.
Step 2: Order Parts
- 360 Servo Motor - http://amzn.to/2uYLnUr
- Toggle Switch - http://amzn.to/2hq0YHI
- 9v Battery - http://amzn.to/2txOMJL
- Battery Connector clip - http://amzn.to/2tegCZf
- 360 Servo Motor - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1...
- Toggle Switch - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/...
- 9v Battery - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/...
- Battery Connector clip - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1...
- 360 Servo Motor - http://amzn.to/2ulZ5SB
- Toggle Switch - http://amzn.to/2vJvy4
- 9v Battery - http://amzn.to/2ulSibD
- Battery Connector clip - http://amzn.to/2sAZNWa
From Home & Local Store - Normal Sharpener, Plastic Bottle and Cardboard.
Step 3: Tools Required
- Soldering Iron - http://amzn.to/2r3IX6g
- Hot Glue Gun - https://amzn.to/2Sf7oad
- Stationary Knife - http://amzn.to/2q879jK
- Soldering Iron - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1...
- Hot Glue Gun - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/...
- Stationary Knife - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/...
- Soldering Iron - http://amzn.to/2qC47qG
- Hot Glue Gun - http://amzn.to/2qIzwWN
- Stationary Knife - http://amzn.to/2q1kb6M
Step 4: Let's Get Started
- Using Hot Glue, paste a manual sharpener inside a bottle cap such that the sharpener hole is almost at centre of the cap.
- Fill Hot Glue inside to make the bond very strong but make sure to leave the blade uncovered.
- Attach the bottle cap to the servo motor accessory as shown in the images above.
- Cut a plastic bottle into half.
- Mark and cut a cavity of the size of servo motor at the lower part of the plastic bottle.
- Insert the Servo motor in the cavity and secure it with Hot glue.
Step 5: Make Electrical Connections
- Cut a piece of cardboard that can cover the bottle opening.
- Using Hot glue, paste a toggle switch on the cardboard.
- Connect a battery connector clip to the motor terminals and the toggle switch, such that switch can be used to control the operation of motor.
- Using a Stationary knife, cut the lower base of the bottle which will be then used to collect the waste. (Note: Make sure to refer the video to get more clarity about the procedure.)
- Using Hot soldering iron, make a hole at the side of the bottle such that it coincides with the sharpener hole.
Step 6: Test the Electric Sharpener
Connect a 9v battery to the connector clips and our simple homemade Electric Pencil Sharpener is now ready.
So Friends, this here concludes the tutorial. Do come back soon for new ones or follow me on iistructables. In case you might have missed, have a look at the video and see how I made this wonderful Electric Pencil Sharpener at home.
Make this amazing gadget yourself and contact us or share your experiences on our facebook page, twitter and instagram. You can also SUBSCRIBE to our Youtube Channel GOODTECH - Creativity And Science, where i frequently post new and creative content.
I have also made a different but a bit complex version of a Electric Pencil Sharpener. Have a look at the instructable here or watch the video below.
Thanks For Your Support..!!
5 years ago
Hi there. Is there a minimum torque for the servo motor in which to sharpen pencils suitably? I am looking online at AliExpress right now, and buying motors which handle 1.5kg.cm torque are considerably cheaper ($2.50 ea) than the one you have suggested which has 5kg.cm ($5ea) I am hoping to make this with a class of kids, and so obviously the cheaper the better...?
Reply 5 years ago
Yes, a motor does need to have certain torque in order to overcome the resistance and peel off the wood to sharpen a pencil. I tried this with a motor lying around & it worked, so didn't think much about torque.
However, a torque of 1.5kg.cm seems enough to sharpen a pencil. Do give it a try as the price difference is considerable and also, don't forget to share your experiences about the project.
All the best.