Introduction: How to Make Kale Chips, Beet Chips & Sweet Potato Chips - Healthy Snacks
how to make kale chips
DIY How to Make Kale Chips meet all my requirements:
Healthy, Easy & Taste Great. They are also way cheaper than buying them and you can do this fast as well.
Ingredients: 1 bunch of kale 1 tablespoon olive oil ½ teaspoon salt 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional) ½ teaspoon garlic powder (optional) For Spicy – ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
Bake - 300 degrees F. – 15 min
We also suggest to use organic because they’re not only higher in nutrients but don’t have pesticides in them.
1. Wash the kale and then dry them thoroughly - drying them is important because if not they will be soggy. You can leave them out, or use a salad spinner to dry.
2. Preheat oven to 300 degrees
3. Take the kale off the stems and rip them into pieces about the size of potato chips and put them in a large bowl. Stems can be juiced, sautéd, or just eaten raw.
4. Add Olive Oil. Using too much will make them soggy, which is the most common mistake when people make these.
5. Use your hand to mix kale around for a few minutes until all the kale has olive oil on it. If you do add more only use about a half a tablespoon at a time.
6. Next Add the ½ teaspoon of Himalayan Pink salt, ½ teaspoon of garlic powder and cayenne if you are using that and mix.
7. Place kale on cookie sheet. You can use a sheet of parchment paper or just put it right on a cookie sheet and spread the kale on top of them. Make sure they don’t overlap or are on top of each other because they won’t get the crisp we want.
8. (optional) After laying it out I add 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast – this acts as a great spice and full of vitamins, especially B vitamins, high in fiber and is gluten free
Bake for about 15 minutes at the 300 degrees or until the edges are brown.
Same recipe for beets and sweet potatoes except:
I like to add rosemary and Fresh Black pepper to the beets. (about ½ teaspoon of each across the top on the tray)
Peel them with a carrot peeler or sharp knife and lay them out evenly on a cookie tray.
(Peel the skin on the beets but not on the sweet potatoes)
These two should be placed on parchment paper since they will stick to the pan.
When you first take the beet and sweet potato chips out they might be a bit soft, but let them sit for 5 minutes and they will crisp up.
This can also be made in a dehydrator at about 125 degrees for 2.5 hours