Introduction: How to Make Pasta From Scratch
This is how to create pasta from scratch! When I first made homemade pasta, it was much harder than it I thought, so be very precise and careful, and make sure you have a lot of time on your hands.
- Pasta machine that has 6 mode. I used an Imperia pasta machine.
- Pot for boiling the pasta
- Rolling Pin
- Plastic wrap
Ingredients for the pasta:
- 2 cups of "OO" pasta flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Step 1: Create the Dough
- Put the flour into a pile and create a well in the middle.
- break the egg yolks and lightly whip them, then pour them into the well in the flour.
- Use a fork to slowly incorporate the flour into the eggs without breaking the flour well
- once the eggs are not runny, you can break the wall and work the dough until no longer wet
- Then you can start to knead the dough until it is smooth like above
- than wrap the dough in plastic wrap and wait thirty minutes.
Step 2: Rolling the Dough
- Preparation: dust the work surface with flour, ready the machine, have more flour ready for dusting.
- Cut the dough in half, making two balls. wrap in plastic and set aside one of them.
- roll the first one out into an oval with a rolling pin. Make sure it is thin enough to get through the widest setting on the pasta maker (setting #1)
- Now run the dough through the widest setting. Then fold the dough in thirds like the image above, then roll out thin enough to go back through. Make sure that you roll it so that the seams are on the long ends!
- repeat the last step 9 times! (I know, it's very redundant)
- now, pass the dough through the second widest setting. Repeat this step but set the rollers one notch thinner each time. Run it through until you are at #5.
- now cover the sheets in plastic wrap and repeat with the other ball...
Step 3: Cutting the Pasta
Warning: this part is very frustrating! It will not work if you don't do it very fast.
- Attach the Pasta cutter to the machine.
- Now run the sheets through the fettuccine cutter.
- Important: Do not put the strands in a pile, make sure they are very separated. You can add flour to help them not stick together.
Step 4: Boiling and Preparing the Pasta
- Boil the pasta for 3-4 minutes, or until done.
You are now done with the Pasta! You can now add any kind of sauce or preparation you like. I used some garlic and olive oil with some chili flakes. I hope that your pasta worked out, and more importantly that you had fun!