Introduction: How to Make a Classic Grilled Cheese
I work on a grilled cheese food truck called Mom On The Go. We serve authentic grilled cheeses on delicious European hearty white bread in TONS of different ways. We travel around serving up grilled cheese all over the South Shore because who doesn't love a grilled cheese!
We have many choices of grilled cheese, for example, a buffalo chicken, BBQ chips/cheddar cheese/bacon, a loaded baked potato grilled cheese. BUT, the old reliable is Mom's Classic American, just plain bread and American cheese.
So today, I'm going to teach you how to make your own Mom's Classic American at home!
You may be thinking; its just a grilled cheese that's easy!
But there is more to a grilled cheese than just bread and cheese.
2 slices of Hearty White Bread
3 slices of American Cheese
1 tablespoons of Butter
3 tablespoons of Mayonnaise
Frying Pan (or a griddle works great)
Small bowl (microwave safe)
Step 1: Gather All Your Ingredients
Get all of your supplies together and lets start!
Step 2: Mix It Up
Every grilled cheese needs some sorta of lubricate to help brown the bread and make sure it doesn't stick to the pan.
We use a butter-mayonnaise mix that browns the bread perfectly and tastes amazingggg!
You'll need your butter, mayo, small bowl and spoon for this step.
1. Melt the butter in the small bowl in microwave
CAUTION: butter may be hot when you take it out of the microwave
2. Add mayonnaise to the bowl by the spoonful
You don't want to add the whole cup of mayo to the butter at once only because harder to mix it up that way
3. Mix the butter and mayo till its a smooth consistency (It will look just like mayo but not a thick)
Once its all mixed up , you have your butter mix!
4. Spread the small amount of butter mix evenly on one side of each piece of bread.
You will most likely have extra mayo/butter mix
Step 3: Turn Up the Heat
Now you are ready to assembly your grilled cheese.
1. Turn your stove top (or griddle) on the medium heat
2. Place both pieces of bread in pan with the side WITHOUT butter mix facing down (see picture^)
Keep bread on this side for a minute or two just to warm it up a little
Don't let it burn, a very light brown is enough
3. Flip bread over to butter mix side using the spatula
4. Add 3 slices of American cheese. Don't just pile pieces on there. Fan the cheese out so its even (see my pic^)
Keep the sandwich open for a little bit so both sides will brown simultaneously (and overall make the process a little faster)
5. Close the sandwich so cheese will melt on both sides
6. Flip the sandwich after about 2 minutes
7. Toast that side for about 2 minutes, or to your preference.
Step 4: Time to Eat!
Now that your grilled cheese is cooked to perfection, its time to eat!
1. Pull your grilled cheese off the pan
3. Cut the sandwich at a diagonal
Disclaimer: you can substitute the bread or cheese to customize it any way you like.
You can also try out a vegan grilled cheese Mom's way by replacing the butter, cheese and mayo with vegan friendly ingredients!
Check out Mom On the Go for some more ideas!