Introduction: How to Tune-up a Hand Plane / DIY
This is the story: after sanding so much at night I dreamed that I was using the plane on the beach. So check out my dream come true on the video!
The plane is a Stanley n5 with the sole and edges in a very poor condition. In addition, the blade holder (frog) was not flat so the blade did not work well. Although it's a work that needs patience, believe me that you will have a happy ending and the difference is well worth it. Now the performance of my plane is excellent. Your plane will go from being a standard plane to a premium one.
A very important detail is the frog, it has to be completely flat because it is the support surface of the blade.
Do it without haste, although the steel is hard to mechanize it needs your love.
The plane will stop being a standard and look much more like one premium. By adjusting the body measurements of the plane can gets achieve a correct and sliding finishing on the sole and the edges. A very important detail is the frog, it has to be completely flat because it is the support surface of the blade. Do it slowly, without haste, the steel is hard to mechanize because needs your love.
Step 1: You'll Become a Professional Sander
Materiales: 14 sandpapers / Double Sided Tape / Grinding oil / WD-40
Use the double sided tape to attach the sandpaper to a flat surface. I've done it on my table saw.
- 2 papers #180 to start apply only WD-40 over the sandpapers. This is to clean and lubricate and sanding slowly. Little by little you will see how it going grinding the sole of the plane. Watch the video to see more details.
- 2 papers #220 only using WD-40 to remove the deeper stripes.
- 2 papers #800 start sanding applying grinding oil on the sole and over the sandpaper too.
Note that the grinding oils are fast friction, so they evaporate quickly as their function is to lubricate at high pressure during grinding process of the steel. So apply a little on the sole, another bit on the sandpapers and start to sanding quickly before it evaporates. Repeat the process twice and then apply WD-40 and follow sanding to lubricate, remove more stripes and cooling the iron.
- 2 papers #1000 Repeat the above process.
- 2 papers #2000 Repeat the above process.
- 2 papers #3000 Repeat the above process.
- 2 papers #4000 Repeat the above process.
Step 2: The Most Important Thing
A very important detail is the frog, it has to be completely flat because it is the support surface of the blade. It is very simple, but don't forget do it without haste, the steel is hard to mechanize because needs your love.
Step 3: A Dream Come True
Well, to finish don't miss my dream come true. Hope you enjoyed it.
See you next time!