Introduction: I Fixed It "Window Frame"

About: relaxed pic

I wanted to replace the windows on my porch. Prices and delivery dead lines have risen (2021). So when I saw two used windows for sale on FB marketplace at a reasonable price. I jumped at it, cash in hand I went to pick them up, the seller said come on into the house and he showed me the windows still installed in the corner of his kitchen. He said that they were going to be replaced at the beginning of April. They "looked" in pretty good shape, so I paid for them got a receipt and he said that he would call me when they were available.

I went to pick them up the first weekend in April, almost an April fools joke on me, the bottom of the window frames was dripping water and parts had rotted away. I didn't complain about the condition, because I knew I could fix them.


Cedar boards, pry bar, hammer, drill, screws, wood petrifier, wood epoxy, camera, tape measure, flat blade screwdriver, needle nose pliers, wire cutters, patience and determination.

Step 1: Determine What You Have

The bottom and lower sides were in really bad shape, the bottom of the casing was the worst and would have to be completely replaced.

The double glazed windows seals were intact with no fogging at all.

Step 2: Determine What Needs to Be Done

The window casing was made for a 2 x 6 wall, I'm going to put the fixed windows in a 2 x4 wall, this allowed me to remove part of the casing, luckily the way the casing was made in sections of 1 3/4 inch widths. So all I had to do was remove that extra piece, to make the casing narrower to fit my wall.

I removed the one window that cranks out.

As I was disassembling the window casing I found some moss. The bottom was where the moss came from, it was hidden between the vinyl frame and the wood casing.

Removal of the rotted wood and repair of the lightly damaged wood.

Step 3: Repair Step 1

Carefully disassemble the housing for the window crank, assess what is needed to fix it.

Remove extra piece of casing with it.

Remove bottom part of casing, this was a bit tricky because the casing frame was assembled with 2 inch long crown staples.

Noted how window crank assembly was installed and how it worked.

Determined which pieces could be repaired and which pieces had to be replaced.

Where a gasket had to be put on a repaired piece a shallow saw cut was made so that the gasket could be reused.

Step 4: Repair Step 2

After removing the bottom casing of the window, I then worked on repairing the side pieces of the casing.

First, I carefully removed the really rotted pieces of the lower ends. Picked pieces out with needle nose pliers and a screwdriver.

Second, let it dry for several days.

Third, after it was thoroughly dry, I stood window upside down so I could apply the wood hardener following the directions, I carefully poured it into the rotted section some parts, I also used a small brush to get complete coverage of some pieces. Let it dry overnight and reapplied, I did this three times. It is really quite amazing how well this product works.

Fourth, then I mixed up some of the wood epoxy and applied it. Sanded the next day and then applied a little bit more epoxy to fill any gaps. Sorry I only have one picture where the epoxy had been applied.

The above procedure was done for any pieces that I needed to repair.

Step 5: Repair Step 3

Glued two 6 x 3/4 inch T&G cedar boards together. Ripped the boards down to the right width that I needed. Cut the boards to length, fit them back into the bottom of the window frame.

The boards were fasten in place with 2 inch deck screws.

An additional piece was needed for the window crank to go back on to, it was glued in place using Gorilla glue.

Step 6: Repair Step 4

The crank mechanism was attached to the new wood casing. The window hinges were reattached to the window frame.

Hooking the window back up to the crank, was a bit tricky, because you needed to have the crank arm in a certain position so that you could attach it to the bottom of the window. This took a bit of trial and error to get it right.

That done the repaired wooden window crank mechanism cover, could be reinstalled it was nailed in place with some long finishing nails.

Step 7: Installation

The repaired windows will be installed this year (2022). I ran out of time last year, since I was working on other projects: The Vardo, bird feeders, and planters. It was a pretty good year project wise.

Fix It Speed Challenge

Second Prize in the
Fix It Speed Challenge