Introduction: IOT123 - ASSIMILATE SENSOR: TEMT6000
ASSIMILATE SENSORS are environment sensors that have an added hardware and software abstraction layer, making it possible for completely new types to be added to a ASSIMILATE SENSOR HUB and the readings be pumped to a MQTT server without added coding.
This ASSIMILATE SENSOR dumps 3 properties:
Ambient Illumination (Lux), Ambient Illumination (Foot Candel units), Ambient Irradiation (Watt per Square Metre).
Step 1: Materials and Tools
This is the I2C TEMT6000 BRICKBill of Material and Sourcing list.
- 3D Printed parts (3)
- TEMT6000 sensor (1)
- ATTINY85 20PU (1)
- 1" Double sided protoboard (1)
- Male Header 90º (3P, 3P)
- Male Header (2P, 2P)
- Jumper Shunt (1)
- Hookup wire (~7)
- Solder and Iron (1)
- Strong Cyanoachrylate Adhesive (1)
- 4G x 20mm self tapping screw (1)
- Hot Glue Gun (1)
- Craft Knife (1)
Step 2: Assembly
Follow the build instructions on IOT123 - I2C TEMT6000 BRICK. Leave the TEMT6000 sensor detached from the circuit.
- Remove the 3P male header from the TEMT6000.
- On the rear of the TEMT6000, insert a yellow wire into "OUT" and solder.
- On the rear of the TEMT6000, insert a black wire into "GND" and solder.
- On the rear of the TEMT6000, insert a red wire into "VCC" and solder.
- Trim any excess wire or solder from the front of the TEMT6000.
- Align the TEMT6000 sensor to the middle of the alignment bracket an adhere with Cyanoachrylate.
- Insert bracket and sensor in lid and align with middle of hole. Adhere bracket to lid with hot glue, clamping if needed.
- On the rear of the BRICK, insert the yellow wire into YELLOW1 and solder.
- On the rear of the BRICK, insert the black wire into BLACK1 and solder.
- On the rear of the BRICK, insert the red wire into RED1 and solder.
- Bend the Jumper pins on the BRICK so that they clear the base when inserted.
- Insert the BRICK into the 3D Printed base grooves, with the 90 pins lining up with the voids.
- Turn over and press top of brick onto hard surface, one side at a time. If the top of the BRICK and the base are not aligned, remove the BRICK and clean up any filament that may be stopping the alignment and retry.
- When level, fasten the screw into the lower hole attaching the BRICK to the base.
- Tuck the wires into the base on the side of the solder to the BRICK.
Fasten lid to base with 4G x 6mm screws.
Step 3: Testing
The testing (at this stage) can be the same as the underlying BRICK.
Just connect the jumper wires to the same pins on the underside of the ASSIMILATE SENSOR.
Step 4: Next Steps
There is enough code and circuit description for you to start your own ASSIMILATE SENSOR NETWORK.
Or you can check back here for more sensors and a MQTT Hub in the coming weeks.
Check out these related builds.