Introduction: Ikea Tradfri Lamp Armature
My Ikea Tradfri smart lights where just hanging from some wires. How to design an armature that looks modern, is different en original.
I started by downloading some pictures of the bulbs and that gave me the inspiration for this "design" armature.
Step 1: You Will Need
- Bulbs (Ikea Tradfri or any other type)
- Fittings for your bulbs
- Aluminum profile (2x 15x15mm L and 2x 20x20x20mm U)
- Nuts and bolts 10x m4 x 12mm
- Wire terminal
- 2 big rings
- 2 screws
Step 2: Design
I used Gravit Designer to draw the design.
- First import the drawings that I found on the web.
- Then add the shape of the fittings to the bulbs.
- Add the screw holes to the design.
- Make a test-cut on the laser from cheap material. (cardboard)
- Fine-tune the design.
I've added both the Gravit file and the PDF-cutting files.
Step 3: Cut the Material
Use a lasercutter (from a makerspace or something) to cut the design from the acrylic.
Step 4: Drill the Profile
- Cut two L-profiles to the width of the acrylic parts.
- Transfer the holes to the L-profile with a pencil.
- Drill the holes in the L-profile.
- Transfer the outer two holes to the other L-profile.
- Drill the outer two holes.
- Bolt the two L-profiles together trough the outer two holes.
- Use the holes in the first L-profile as a template to drill the holes in the second one.
Step 5: Bolt Together
Place the wires and bolt the two L-profiles onto the acrylic.
Step 6: Cut the U-profiles
- Cut the two U-profiles the same length as the L-profiles.
- Drill two holes in each L-profile to montage it to the U.
- Transfer the holes to the U-profiles with a pencil.
- Drill the two holes in each U-profile.
Step 7: Bolt the U-profile On
- Bolt one U-profile on one L-profile.
- Wire the lamps (There are different rules for this in different countries, so figure out how you should do this in your country)
- Put all the wire in the U-profile.
- Bolt the other U to the other L-profile.
Step 8: Rings
Screw two big rings to the ceiling. Don't screw them all the way in, but leave enough room for the U-profiles to slide under them.
Step 9: Slide the Lamp On
- Wire the lamp to whatever power wires comes from your ceiling.
- Slide the lamp over the two big rings.
If you can't get the lamp over the rings, unscrew the rings a little. If it is a bit wobbly, screw the rings a little bit further in.
4 years ago
That is a very unique lighting setup :)
Reply 4 years ago
That was what I was going for ;)