...In the Wind - a Steampunk Clock

2,467

30

2

Introduction: ...In the Wind - a Steampunk Clock

About: Designer / Maker @ www.eclectic-fusion.co.uk Tools used: FUSION 360, Inkskape, GIMP, Arduino, Assorted hand tools, 3d printer (Wanhao Duplicator i3 Plus).

Tools used: Fusion 360, FM Gears extension, Cura, Wanhao Duplicator i3, PLA Filament, various hardware, Y888X quartz movements.

This is not a full instructable, rather an overview of some of the tools and materials used.

Step 1: Download & Install "FM Gears" From the Autodesk App Store - It's Free!

I use this extension to generate my gears in Fusion 360.

Visit the App Store, use the following link: https://apps.autodesk.com/en

In the search enter "FM Gears", click on the link (shown) and download, run the downloaded file and re-open Fusion 360.

Once installed it is selected from the Solid/Create Menu, simply select the type of gear you wish to generate from the menu (shown) and enter the required parameters (Help can be found here: https://apps.autodesk.com/FUSION/en/Detail/HelpDoc... ).

Once you hit OK the gear is generated and placed at the origin. Apart from the axle hole, the gears are solid, and you can use the tools in Fusion 360 to add (Cut :-) ) spokes or bosses.

I changed the module/number of teeth to get the diameters I required, please note you must use the same module for all the gears in the train.

Step 2: Generating the Other Components and 3d Printing Them.

Once the geartrain was complete I set about generating the other components for the clock. Once complete, each component was saved to my laptop as STL files. These were then loaded into Ultimaker Cura to generate the gcode for the printer. Layer size was 0.1mm, bed temperature 60 deg C and extrusion temperature 200 deg C, a brim was used to help bed adhesion.

The first image shows the hour "hand", possibly the most delicate part I have ever printed. The second image shows the full set of printed parts.

Step 3: Painting

All parts were given a coat of grey celulose primer and then a two coats of the desired finish.

The "Brass" is a gold metallic from Plastikote.

The "Copper" a copper metallic from Rust-Oleum.

The Green a generic celulose.

The black a generic acrylic.

Step 4: Assembly

The clock was assembled onto the base for the glass dome using a 3d printed jig to position the holes accurately, various M3 bolts, M3 Brass dome nuts, and brass washers. Gear spindles were made from 6mm steel rod and the main body was bolted to the base with 6mm threaded rod.

The image shows the jig used to drill the holes in the base.

Step 5: The Finished Clock

These are images of the finished clock, I am currently experiencing some binding of the gears, so the next step is to remake them using bigger teeth and a more generous clearance, we live and learn :-)

Clocks Contest

Participated in the
Clocks Contest

Be the First to Share

    Recommendations

    • Metal Contest

      Metal Contest
    • Micro:bit Contest

      Micro:bit Contest
    • Space Contest

      Space Contest

    2 Comments

    0
    seamster
    seamster

    1 year ago

    Very nice, fun design! : )

    0
    BikerAfloat
    BikerAfloat

    Reply 1 year ago

    Thank you.