Introduction: Install Scion FR-S Subaru BRZ LED Side Markers
Since the release of the new Toyota 86, it has been a top seller within the US. The vehicle is affordable, stylish and most importantly sporty. The Scion FR-S has all the basic for a true car enthusiast to build off of. In just a year, you can see hundreds of owners modifying the Toyota 86 with body kits, racing seats, and performance upgrades. The competition is extremely high for this vehicle.
However, there are a few things that have seemed to be excluded such as lighting. Lighting is much more affordable than purchases of racing parts especially the side marker. We have developed a new LED side marker assembly for the Toyota 86 which is compatible with 2013 and up Scion FR-S and Subaru BRZ models. The unit is a direct replacement of the factory side marker assembly. Normally, car enthusiasts can just replace the bulb on the side marker assembly or buy an OEM style clear lens but it would be limited to only one color bulb.
Our LED side marker assembly replacement is available in clear or smoked lens with white and yellow LEDs. The product is street legal since you can use white in parking light mode and flashes amber in turn signal mode. How hard is it to install the LED side marker assembly on the Scion FR-S? It is a fairly simple installation which should not take more than 30 minutes (level of difficulty will vary depending on your experience with automotive installation).
1) The first step would be to start the vehicle and turn your wheel to the right to create room for you to access the vehicle’s fender liner.
2) Next, you can use a flat head screw driver to pop the tabs holding the fender liner to the bumper. Once the tabs are removed, you can move the liner to the side and the factory assembly should be visible.
3) As pictured, there’s just tabs are holding the side marker assembly together. You can use a screwdriver to pop off the stock lamp. The factory assembly should be loose and can be easily removed. There is a connector you would need to unplug as seen in the picture.
4) Here is a comparison photo of the OEM and the LED side marker assembly. When installing the LED assembly back onto the corner of the bumper, slip the wires first before positioning the new LED assembly. You would then align the unit and pop it back in with slight force.
5) There are 2 wires from the LED side marker assembly. The white wire is to activate the white in parking light mode and the yellow wire is to activate the amber in turn signal mode. In the picture, this customer already has a set of our 50W 6 Ohm load resistor installed which makes it easier for us to identify which wire is serves which function.
6) From the factory socket wires, the black is the ground wire; red is the turn signal and green is the parking light. Tap the yellow wire to the red wire of socket. Tap the white wire to the green. Repeat the steps on the other side.
7) Enjoy your new Scion FR-S LED side marker lights!