Introduction: Intro: How to Lace a Pie
In this tutorial, I will explain the basics of pie latticework. You will need pie dough.
Step 1: Step 1: Size Dough
1. Roll out dough on a clean surface dusted with flour
2. Lay pie tin on top and cut a half inch away from the tin
3. Curl pie crust around edges of tin
4. Flip pie around and press dough in
Step 2: Step 2: the Lattice Work
I will be demonstrating how to do the lattice work on my counter for easy visibility. You should be doing this on the pie itself.
*Note* Click on the pictures to see instructions
1. Cut dough into 1/2 inch strips and line them up parallel to one another for the width of the pie. You can use a fork to press in one side of the dough strips.
2. Fold back every other strip of dough in one line for the width of your pie perpendicular.
3. Lay one length of dough across perpendicularly
4. Return the folded lengths of dough back over the perpendicular strip of dough
5. Repeat until lattice is complete.
To create leaves, roll out additional dough and flatten with a rolling pin. Cut out the leaf pattern and score in the leaf veins with a knife or toothpick. Lay leaves on the pie latticework.
*Note* painting the top of the pastry with melted butter will assist in giving the latticework a beautiful golden brown color.
Participated in the