Introduction: Kale Caprese Salad With Strawberries
This refreshing, delicious and easy to make salad with a quick homemade dressing is my take on the Italian classic "Caprese Salad".
Maintaining the colors of that salad (green, white and red), I have used fresh kale (instead of the traditional basil leaves), juicy strawberries with some cherry tomatoes and cute, bite sized mozzarella balls, all drenched in a lip smacking dressing of Balsamic vinegar, mustard and garlic.
This is a wonderful side to have with any meal, be it summer barbecues or a family/friends gathering!
Do try this in your home and wow your family and friends! My family was reaching out for seconds and thirds and this salad made my daughter-in-law a kale lover which she was wary of earlier!
- 3 cups chopped kale
- 2 tablespoons olive oil/salad oil extra virgin (for kale leaves)
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 Persian/English Cucumber sliced
- 1 cup mozzarella balls
- 1 to 1 ½ cups sliced strawberries
- Handful of mint leaves
- ¼ cup oil
- 2 tablespoons Balsamic vinegar
- Dash of Dijon Mustard
- 1 tablespoon Maple syrup/Honey (optional)
- 1 large clove garlic minced/grated or 1/2-1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 to 1 ½ teaspoons salt or to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper powder
Step 1: TO MAKE KALE CAPRESE SALAD
- Massage chopped kale with a drizzle of oil (about 1 to 2 tablespoons) for 2-3 minutes. This softens the leaves, makes it more edible and easily digestible and enticing although still maintains its crispiness and freshness.
Step 2: FIRST STEP TO MAKE THE SALAD:
In a salad bowl, layer or add the salad ingredients: massaged kale, chopped/sliced strawberries, cherry tomatoes, sliced cucumbers and mozzarella balls.
Mince some fresh mint leaves and add if preferred. You can use basil leaves too.
Step 3: TO MAKE BALSAMIC VINEGAR SALAD DRESSING
TO MAKE THE DRESSING:
- In a small jar/bottle, add all the dressing ingredients and give it a good shake for at least 15 seconds.
- Adjust seasonings (salt, pepper, honey/mayple syrup etc.) and set aside.
Step 4: MAKING THE FINAL SALAD:
- Drizzle dressing on top of the salad ingredients and stir well using a ladle or clean hands.
- You can add add as much as needed for now and stir in more later just before serving.
- Set to chill for at least an hour.
Step 5: Serving Suggestions:
- It is a wonderful make ahead salad (as kale leaves can stand up to any dressing without wilting up) to serve as a side salad but I might say would taste amazing as a bruschetta on a toast with some mashed avocados or some hummus!
- Just before serving, feel free to add some walnuts, sunflower seeds, almonds etc. for added more nutrition or crunch. We love walnuts, so had to add that!
- Preferably, like any salad, it tastes best the first day but leftovers, especially the kale ones hold good for at least another few hours.
Step 6: NOTES:
- Adjust the amount of ingredients according to personal preference.
- Instead of Balsamic Vinegar, feel free to use apple cider or even regular white vinegar.
- You can omit garlic if you do not like it. Garlic powder instead sounds good too.
- Adding sweetener is totally optional but gives a lovely sweet note to every bite; maple syrup if plant based/vegan and honey if not on a plant based/vegan diet.
- Plant based meal plans can use tofu chunks instead of mozzarella or even paneer chunks if not on a vegan/plant based diet.
- Being a totally flexible kind of salad, feel free to use any other greens instead of kale (but mix dressing just before serving) and some radishes, apples, mangoes etc.
- Leftovers taste amazing over toast maybe with some hummus or avocado, mashed or sliced.
Participated in the
Fruits and Veggies Speed Challenge