Introduction: Making a Weather Widget Under 10 Minutes
In this instructable, we are going to learn how to build a weather widget under 10 minutes. This is the easiest way possible to quickly get started with an iot project. All you need is one SLabs-32 board. YES that's right just one developing board to manage all your iot based projects. To get your own SLabs-32, click on the link given below :
This instructable involves getting the current weather information from Weather Underground API and displaying it on the SLabs-32 TFT screen. We use the onboard Esp8266 module of the SLabs-32 to get the data from the Weather Underground API.
Step 1: Make an Account in Weather Underground
Go to this website :
and sign up for the account.
The Weather Underground (http://www.wunderground.com) website gives you real-time weather information of any specified location. So all you have to do is get the Wunderground API Key.The basic key is free of cost which what we need.
Follow the steps given below:
- Create an account in Weather Underground.
- Click on the “Explore My Options” button. Click the “Purchase Key” button at the top or bottom of the page (Select the "STRATUS PLAN" and "Developer" in the pricing plan to make use of the basic key).
- Fill in the details to complete the process. When asked where the API will be used, answer “Other”. When asked if the API is for commercial use, answer “No”. When asked if the API is for chip processing, answer “No”.
Step 2: Programming SLabs-32
To get started with SLabs-32 click on the link given below :
If you are familiar with Arduino boards then it as easy as setting up any Arduino board. To program SLabs-32 we are going to use Arduino IDE as it has huge support over the internet and is easy to use.
Download the sketch files attached to step.
After downloading the file, open the sketch and do the following things:
- Enter your Wunderground API Key
- Enter your Wifi credentials
- Adjust the location according to Wunderground API, like in our instructables its "India,Hyderabad"
There is no step 3. This is as easy as it gets. This is one of the many use cases of SLabs-32 board which makes it ideal for iot projects. To know more about SLabs-32 board click on the link given below:
We will write an instructable every week, showcasing the use cases of SLabs-32. So keep following us for new exciting and easy to make projects :)