Introduction: Mini Chocolate Cars - From Gelatin Molds
How to make Mini Chocolate Cars from a gelatine mold.
Silicon molding kits are a bit expensive, in this video I show you a cheap alternative to make food molds. Made out of Gelatin, water and sugar.
It’s fun to make and you have endless options and variations with the objects you can put in the gelatin.
I wanted to make a Classic Mini because I love those cars.
Step 1: Check Out My Quick Video Tutorial!
This video will show you how to make the Chocolate cars out of (homemade) gelatin molds.
Along with the video you can follow the (easy) steps below :-)
Step 2: Get Your Materials
For the mold I used:
- 20 grams (0.7 oz) of gelatin
- 20 grams (0.7 oz) of sugar
- 100 to 150 ml water
Furthermore I used
- plastic bucket
- Mini cooper model car (solid, closed windows) or anything you like to make a mold from.
- oil or grease
Step 3: Prepare the Gelatin
- Soak the Gelatin for about 5 minutes in cold water
- Heat up water and add the sugar and gelatin
- Give it a stir but don't let it boil.
Step 4: Make the Mold
- Cover the object (the mini car) and the bucket in oil, so the gelatin will come loose easy later on.
- Place a little layer of gelatin in the bucket and place the object in position.
- When the first layer is dry put the rest of the mixture, so the object is fully covered and let it become solid.
- I use the freezer to fasten this process, it took me about 1 hour.
- Remove the object carefully from the mold.
Step 5: Make the Chocolate Car
- make a water bath to melt the chocolate
- melt and temper the chocolate
- when the chocolate mixture is done pour it into the mold
- wait till the chocolate is solid again, it took me about 15 minutes.
- Remove the chocolate from the mold
Step 6: Done
Now the chocolate car is ready.
You can also play a bit with colors, give it a white roof and some bonnet stripes for example.
Thank you for checking out my Instructable ;-)
5 years ago
What does the sugar do for the mold? It seems like an in-necessary ingredient. Have you tried this without the sugar? How many cars were you able to get from one mold?
Reply 5 years ago
Thanks for you comment!
The sugar makes the mold stronger. I didn't try it without sugar tho.
I made about 10 chocolate cars, but the mold was still looking good enough to make more. The mold stays good in the fridge for a long time.