Introduction: Origami Calyx for an Origami Rose
To make a great looking origami rose, you will need to also fold a calyx
A calyx is defined as - the sepals of a flower, typically forming a whorl that encloses the petals and forms a protective layer around a flower in bud
This is the green part that sits just under the pretty blooming piece and adds and extra flair to your flower.
NOTE: Please pay attention to the pictures in this instructable. They will help you understand what the written instructions are trying to say.
Step 1: Start With Paper
The trick to the size of paper is to make sure it is smaller than the paper you used for your rose.
For this rose you will need to make your calyx paper 1/4 the size of what you used for the rose
Step 2: Start Folding
1. Start folding the paper in half horizontally
3. Rotate 90'
4. Repeat steps 1 and 2
5. Now fold paper in half diagonally
7. Rotate 90'
8. Repeat steps 5 and 6
Step 3: Start Forming the Calyx
1. fold paper in half horizontally so that the edges of the paper are facing up.
2. fold paper diagonally to line up one side of the paper with the center
3. Flip paper and repeat steps 1 and 2
Step 4: Make a Square Base
Right now you have a large triangle
1. take the paper and open up the center
2. push the ends of the triangle together until they meet to form a square
You now have a square base
Step 5: Form a Diamond
Spin the square around until you have a diamond shape with the open ends of the paper facing down
1. Diagonally fold the bottom edges of the paper to the middle crease
2. flip over
3. repeat on opposite side
4. You should now see a triangle at the top of the paper. Fold that triangle down so you form a triangle with your paper
Step 6: Create a Petal Fold
1. Take the top layer of your previous fold and lift the corner upward until you have pulled it completely open
2. bring the edges in as you keep pulling the corner
3. Once complete you should be looking at a very thin diamond shape
4. Flip piece over
5. repeat steps 1-3 on opposite side
Fold both diamonds down and return it to the original diamond shape
Step 7: More Diamond Folding
1. spin the paper 180' so that the long end of the diamond is facing up
2. fold the small part of the diamond diagonally to line up with the center fold of the piece
3. flip the paper
4. repeat step 2.
Step 8: Fold Out Petals
1. fold petals halfway down. (so the side goes from a diamond to a triangle)
2. Repeat step 1 for each side.
Step 9: Finished
When all the petals are folded out you have a complete calyx!! Yay!
Now you can add it to your flower to create a beautiful bouquet.
Participated in the
1 Person Made This Project!
- stevenorigami made it!