Introduction: Pixar Up Grape Soda Pin
Instructions to make your own Pixar Up-inspired Grape Soda pin (I created these pins for both a Russell and Carl Fredricksen costume for Halloween 2020); these would also make nice embellishments for a card with the text "You and me, we're in a club now..." or fun favors for an Up-inspired party.
- hot glue gun, hot glue sticks
- white acrylic paint, paintbrush
- large safety pin
- bottle cap
- purple and black paint pens
- Modge Podge
Step 1: Prep Bottle Cap Surface
Using Modge Podge (or Gesso), prepare the surface of the bottle cap for painting
Step 2: Paint Bottle Cap White
This may take several coats of paint to cover any writing/color on the original bottle cap - allow paint to dry between coats
Step 3: Paint Grape Soda Text (black)
Using black paint pen, write in the Grape Soda text - you can use a pencil to draw in an outline of the entire pin design first to help with spacing. I used these photos for reference.
Step 4: Paint Outline, Grapes, Leaves
Using the purple paint pen:
- carefully outline the half circles above and below GRAPE
- draw a circle around the outer perimeter of the bottle cap, color in the outline and the space around the "GRAPE" (the original design has a bit of white space between the black text and the purple background)
- draw the purple grape shape in the top half circle
- using black paint pen, draw the black leaf shape next to the grapes
Allow paint to dry completely
Step 5: Modge Podge to Protect Paint/seal Cap
Apply an even coat of Modge Podge, allow to dry completely
Step 6: Hot Glue Safety Pin to Back of Bottle Cap
I used tape to mark how I wanted the pin placed. Be sure to glue the pin at an angle so there is enough clearance to actually open and close the pin.
Step 7: Pin on and Enjoy!
Participated in the