Introduction: “Predict the Future” Magic Trick
We all want to amaze our friend with magic, but most of the time either our friends already know the trick or they are just not interested.
This trick is not only fun, but it will make math more fun than it already is! Also, after you have mastered this trick, you will be experts in magic with the flick of a wand.
- 2 Pieces of Paper (2 pieces for each time you do the trick)
- Something to write with (pen, pencil)
- Calculator (optional)
5-10 minutes for the trick
15-20 minutes for rehearsing the trick or practicing
Grab a friend and tell them to write down a number from 1000 - 9999 somewhere near the top of the first page.
Now tell your friend that you will write down a number on a separate piece of paper and that number will be the sum of the numbers in the end.
So the trick to knowing what the end number is:
- On a separate piece of paper write down the number that they wrote but place a number 2 to the beginning of the number
(Ex. If their number was 3485 then you on a separate piece of paper will write 23485)
- Next subtract 2 from the number that you have just got
(Ex. 23485-2 = 23483. Which is the sum of the numbers in the end)
Tip for step 2- try to not do your math on the piece of paper that you wrote the sum on, as you do not want anyone to know the trick (Just write down the final answer which I this case is 23485).
3. Take the piece of paper with the sum and fold it 2 times. Make sure your friend does not see your number just yet.
4. Now tell your friend to write down another number from 1000 - 9999 underneath the first number that they wrote.
5. Now go ahead and you write down a number underneath their second number. Make sure the number that you write is 9999-the number that they wrote.
Ex. 9999-5746= 4253
= the number that you should write underneath theirs.
Tip for this step- do not show your friend the math that you are going to do at the step
(do it in your head or use the calculator)
6. For step 6 we are going to repeat step four. (tell your friend to write down another number from 1000 - 9999 underneath the previous number)
(Ex. Write the number 7545 underneath the previous number.)
7. For step seven this time we are going to repeat step five. So write down a number underneath the previous number and the number should be 9999 - the previous number.
= the number that you should write
8. This step is very important and is recommended to use a calculator. You are going to add up all the numbers and write the answer underneath the numbers.
9. This is where the magic comes in. Take the piece of paper that you had folded and unfold it.
The result of the sum of the numbers and your prediction will amaze you.
Remember you don’t want to show anyone the math that you will do or spoil the trick.
10. After you have understood the trick, don’t forget to practice before you show your friends!