Introduction: Quick Potato and Leek Soup
This soup is quick and easy to make, but best of all, the end result is a rich and tasty dish that drives all thoughts of the cold outside from your mind!
This receipe is a slight adaption from one that was given to me by my sister when I first left home. The collection of recipes that she gave me still sits on the shelf 26 year later and is often referred to for good food that brings comfort and the warmth of home. I still appreciate the food that results and the thought that went into the original gift today.
Step 1: Ingredients
- One leek
- 3 medium potatoes
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 rashers of bacon
- 3 cups of water
- 1 1/2 tbsp dry chicken stock - liquid stock can be used but make sure to reduce the amount of water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Herbs - thyme, basil, nutmeg, etc
- Salt and pepper
Step 2: Preparation
- Wash and slice the leek
- Peel and dice the potatoes
- Chop bacon into small pieces
Step 3: Cook
- Saute leek in the butter over a medium heat for about 3 mins.
- Add potatoes, bacon and water
- Add all remaining ingredients, season to personal taste
- Cover the pot and simmer until the potato is tender. Do not overcook as this changes the flavour
Step 4: Blend and Serve
- Use a stick blender to mix until desired consistency is achieved. I like the soup to still have some chunks of potato in it but I know a lot of people prefer a smooth texture.
- Serve sprinkled with a little paprika or chopped parsley.
- A side plate of freshly made bread tops off this dish, something to tuck into on a cold day when going outside is the furtherest from your mind!!!
Participated in the
Comfort Food Challenge