Introduction: RECIPE | VEGETABLE LASAGNA
Vegetable Lasagna is such a wonderful comfort food. I love it even more when it contains fresh light vegetables because all that pasta and cheese can be quite heavy. This is a dish that will last awhile especially if you're only a family of two and you can only eat one square per serving. It certainly fills me up quickly! For the sauce in this recipe, I love cooking with the marinara sauce from Victoria's Fine Foods. I honestly could drink this stuff right from the jar. It possesses so much sweet tomato flavour and it takes my pasta dishes to a new level. You can find their sauces at Costco.
Step 1: INGREDIENTS
YIELDS 12 PIECES | PREP TIME 30 MINS | COOK TIME 45 MINS
- 1 BOX OF LASAGNA NOODLES
- 900 ML OF VICTORIA FINE FOODS WHITE LINEN MARINARA SAUCE
- 400 GRAMS OF RICOTTA CHEESE
- 1 CUP OF SHREDDED MOZZARELLA CHEESE
- 1 BROCCOLI HEAD CHOPPED
- 1 ZUCCHINI SLICED THINLY
- 1 PINT OF WHITE BUTTON MUSHROOMS SLICED THINLY
- 2 SHALLOTS CHOPPED
- 1 GARLIC CLOVE CHOPPED
- EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL FOR FRYING
- Prepare your ingredients as listed above.
- In a large wide pan set on medium heat, add your olive oil. Begin frying the shallots and garlic until soft. Then add in all your chopped vegetables and fry for 10 minutes until soft and liquids have evaporated. Season with salt and pepper to taste. If there is still liquid remaining, strain the vegetables in a colander to remove it.
- Prepare your lasagna noodles according to package instructions.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large 11 x 15 inch deep baking dish, spread 1/2 cup of your marinara sauce on the bottom of the dish. Then layer with lasagna noodles, followed by more marinara sauce, ricotta cheese and topped off with fried vegetables. Repeat layering with remaining ingredients and top off with ricotta cheese and marinara sauce.
- Bake for 45 minutes uncovered. In the last 5 minutes, sprinkle over with mozzarella cheese and allow it to melt in the oven. Remove from oven and let it sit for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!