Introduction: Rice Cooker Chicken Rice
When you ask any Singaporean who has been away for more than 2 weeks what they miss most and what they would like to have most, 9 out of 10 people would say chicken rice! I am not a Hainanese, but I love the smell of fragrant rice, as well as the smoothness and tenderness of the chicken. When one is living overseas, chicken rice will definitely remind you of being at home in Singapore!
I have tried various methods and recipes, and have found this one to be the easiest and healthiest way to cook chicken rice even when you are living in a western country - all you need is a rice cooker!!! Ingredients used in my recipe are simple, nutritious and I do not use chicken fat.
This recipe is especially for those craving some Singaporean dishes. Hopefully, this will give you a taste of home away from home.
2 chicken legs
1 thumb of ginger - bruised
2 stalk of spring onion - bruised
1 thumb of ginger
10 pcs of shallots
1 chicken stock cube - cut to pieces
5 cloves of garlic
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
7 tbsp cooking oil
2 cups rice
Water - 2 cups measured using the marks on the rice cooker + 2 tbsp
Few slices of tomato
Few slices of cucumber
Step 1: Prepare the Chicken
1. Salt chicken for at least 2 hours or overnight.
2. Prepare rice cooker: put in 2 tbsp of water and turn to cook.
3. Change the rice cooker to the 'Keep Warm' mode, and put in 2 chicken legs with the skin facing downwards.
4. Place the ginger and spring onion on top and add 5 tbsp of water.
5. Turn the rice cooker to the 'Cook' mode for 5 mins.
6. After 5 mins, set rice cooker to keep warm, and leave for 25 mins.
7. After 25 mins, remove the chicken from rice cooker and pour the chicken soup into a bowl.
Step 2: Preparing the Rice
1. Remove skin from ginger, shallots, garlic and put into a blander to blend it. (alternatively, chop finely with a chopper knife)
2. Heat pan with cooking oil and add blended ingredients over medium heat and stir frequently.
3. When fragrant, add in the chicken stock cube and sugar and mix well. Turn off the heat and set aside.
4. Wash rice and add in chicken rice mixture and salt. Then, mix well. Pour water till you reach 2 cups mark of the rice cooker and add in an extra 2 tbsp of water.
5. Turn the rice cooker to cook. When the rice cooker springs to warm, open the lid and stir the rice from bottom up and cover lid. (Repeat this step till the rice is cook to your liking. Repeating a few times will create a softer texture.)
Step 3: Putting It Together
1. Gently coat each chicken thigh with the reserved chicken soup and sesame oil.
2. Arrange each portion of rice and chicken, along with some sliced tomatoes and cucumbers on individual plates.
3. Serve hot.