Introduction: Simply Decadent Chocolate Caramel Pie
This Chocolate Caramel pie is so decadent and delicious that a small slice will take you to taste-bud paradise! The best part is that it has basically 5 ingredients, okay 6, if you include a splash of whiskey in the caramel sauce! Right before serving, sprinkle the top with flaked sea salt such as Fleur De Sel
Step 1: Gather Supplies and Ingredients
- 9-inch Pie Plate
- Kitchen Scale
- Small Saucepan
- Food Processor or Blender
- 2 glass bowls (one for melting butter, another for preparing chocolate)
- 1 package regular Oreos (about 36)
- 1 cup unsalted butter (divided)
- 2/3 cup (150g) brown sugar
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream (divided)
- 6 oz bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1-2 Tablespoons whiskey or bourbon (optional)
- Flaky Sea Salt like Fleur De Sel
Step 2: Prepare Oreo Crust
- Finely crush all Oreos with a food processor or blender.
- Stir crumbs together with 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) melted butter until well combined.
- Press into bottom and sides of a pie pan.
- Freeze crust for 10 minutes or until set
Step 3: Prepare Caramel Layer
- Combine 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) butter and 2/3 cup brown sugar in a small saucepan
- Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly until mixture begins to bubble
- Continue cooking, whisking constantly for 1 minute
- Remove from heat
- Slowly whisk in 1/4 cup heavy cream until smooth. Optional: I like to add 1 tablespoon whiskey and a pinch of sea salt
- Let caramel cool in the saucepan about 15 minutes
- Pour caramel over the Oreo crust then return to freezer for 30-45 minutes until just chilled and set (caramel shouldn't fully freeze)
Step 4: Prepare Chocolate Layer
- Place 6 oz bittersweet chocolate and 1/2 cup (4 oz) heavy cream in a microwave safe bowl
- Microwave in 10-15 second increments until heavy cream is barely hot to the touch (simmer). This may take 3-5 times depending on your elevation! Check your temperature each increment.
- Cover bowl with plastic and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Remove plastic and whisk until completely smooth
- Pour chocolate over the caramel and freeze for 30 minutes until just chilled and set
- If not serving immediately, refrigerate covered until ready to serve
Step 5: Finishing Touches
- sprinkle top with a flaky sea salt like Fleur De Sel
Makes: 8-12 servings
- Tip: Start with smaller slices, this pie is rich and decadent. Besides, 2 small slices has fewer calories than 1 big one - or so I heard!!
- Store covered in the refrigerator until ready to serve
Participated in the
Dessert Speed Challenge