Introduction: Smartphone Photo Studio for #3DBenchy and Tiny Stuff
This 3D-printable camera rig for smartphones is designed to create a repeatable way to photograph #3DBenchy models at fixed angle positions. An included turntable attachment makes it is also possible to record 360° videos.
The base frame and phone shelf are easily adjustable to fit most common smartphone models. A sliding fixture holder allows for adjustment of the object-to-camera distance as well as the focus and framing of the image.
A rubber-band-activated lever makes it easy to insert and remove the smartphone from the shelf and keeps it in place during photography.
The following fixtures are included in this kit:
- Vertical fixture for eight positions at 45° intervals (for #3DBenchy)
- Horizontal fixture for top-bottom positions at 45° intervals (for #3DBenchy)
- Crank-actuated rotary platform for recording 360° videos (for #3DBenchy)
- Crank-actuated rotary platform for recording 360° videos (blank)
- Blank fixture insert with center-hole for generic objects
The frame components have holes through which the camera rig can be secured permanently on a flat surface.
A slot in the fixture holder can be used for mounting a sheet of paper which removes background clutter during photography.
A universal holder for flashlights can be used to add key lights and improve the clarity of the photos.
A separate holder for sheets of paper is included which can be used as additional light bouncers.
Even though this rig is primarily designed to be used for photographing #3DBenchy specimens, it can nevertheless be used for taking photos of anything that fits in the camera's field of view.
For this purpose the fixture insert is made available as a blank in both STEP and STL file formats. These can be easily adapted in your 3D/CAD software for holding items such as follows:
- Toy figurines
- And anything else you can think of!
During the development and testing phase of this rig, it became obvious that it also works as a stand for mobile phones. Just make yourself comfortable, place the rig on your belly and effortlessly watch your favourite videos.
This 3D-printable camera rig is released as an open design and we encourage you to 3D-print it and make improvements to best fit your personal use. If you re-publish the new files please give this project attribution. :)
Please visit http://3DBenchy.com to learn more about 3D printing
Concept and 3D model by http://Creative-Tools.com
Please watch the video for assembly instructions and demonstration: - https://youtu.be/hlATeBRlB9E
Background music in video by soundcloud.com/nicolai-heidlas
STL FILES AND BUILDPLATES
All files in this camera rig can be downloaded as individual STL files and also as pre-packed ready-to-print build plates. These are available for two commonly used square and rectangular build-volume sizes - 200 x 200 x 115 mm and 230 x 150 x 115 mm. If your 3D printer can make objects of this size or larger, then you can 3D-print a full plate in one go. Otherwise all individual parts can be 3D-printed within 150 x 150 x 114 mm.
- Buildplate (rectangular 230x150mm) Accessories - 3 flashlight stands - 3DBenchy.com.stl
- Buildplate (rectangular 230x150mm) Complete set - 3DBenchy.com.stl
- Buildplate (square 200x200mm) Accessories - 3 flashlight stands and blank fixtures - 3DBenchy.com.stl
- Buildplate (square 200x200mm) Complete set - 3DBenchy.com.stl
- Buildplate (rectangular 230x150mm) Reflector holders and blank fixtures - 3DBenchy.com.stl
- Fixture for #3DBenchy in horizontal position - 3DBenchy.com.stl
- Turntable crank - 3DBenchy.com.stl
- Smartphone shelf - 3DBenchy.com.stl
- Sliding holder for fixtures and backgrop - 3DBenchy.com.stl
- Base frame and rail - 3DBenchy.com.stl
- Turntable beam - 3DBenchy.com.stl
- Turntable beam (built-in support) - 3DBenchy.com.stl
- Turntable rotating plate (#3DBenchy footprint) - 3DBenchy.com.stl
- Set-screw B (for locking bracket) - 3DBenchy.com.stl
- Set-screw A (for fixture holder) - 3DBenchy.com.stl
- Flashlight holder (ball-joint) - 3DBenchy.com.stl
- Flashlight holder (base) - 3DBenchy.com.stl
- Turntable rotating plate (blank) - 3DBenchy.com.stl
- Fixture - Generic blank insert (CAD file) - 3DBenchy.com.stp
- Locking lever for smartphone - 3DBenchy.com.stl
- Locking bracket for smartphone shelf - 3DBenchy.com.stl
- Light reflector stand (pair) - 3DBenchy.com.stl
- Fixture for #3DBenchy in vertical position - 3DBenchy.com.stl
- Fixture - Generic blank insert - 3DBenchy.com.stl
5 years ago
This would be great for someone in the Jewelry business or minature collectables.
6 years ago
7 years ago
7 years ago
This is wonderful! It was also nice to learn about #3DBenchy as well. I'm currently trying to get my 3d printer to perform just as nicely with Simplify3D as it does with MatterControl. This may help.
7 years ago
This is so cool!