Introduction: Sunflower Pie
Even if you are not in a good mood this pie will bring a smile to your face. I have made slight changes to the basic recipe. The filling consists of spinach and ricotta. A piece of this pie can be a healthy substitute for fried or sweet snacks.
For The Pie Crust:
500g plain flour
1/4 cup oil
1/2 tsp baking powder
salt to taste
For The Filling:
350g cooked spinach
3-4 tbsp bread crumbs
1 egg 100g parmesan
salt and pepper to taste
sesame seeds for sprinkling
I have used black sesame seeds, but you can use sunflower seeds to keep up with the theme.
Egg Wash :
1 beaten egg
I like peas so that it is why I have used some in the filling. You can use if you like, but they are not in the original recipe.
Step 1: Making the Dough:
1. Place flour on a clean working surface, make a well in the center add milk and oil and mix till mixture resembles bread crumbs.
2.Knead until the dough is elastic and pliable.
3. Cover and leave to rest while you prepare the filling.
Step 2: Preparing and Placing the Filling:
- Take cooked spinach, ricotta, egg, salt, pepper and parmesan. Add bread crumbs and mix well to combine. Set aside.
- Divide the dough into two equal pieces. Roll out each into equal circles. Place a small bowl or plate in the middle of the circle, I have used a jar lid.
- Press down to mark the center.
Step 3: Placing the Filling:
Remove the bowl or lid and place the filling in the center.
Place the rest of the filling all along the center as shown in the picture.
Step 5: Completing the Filling:
Place the other round carefully over the filling and press the sides gently.
Place the lid once again in the middle and press to mark the center.
Make equal incisions all along the sides with the help of a sharp knife as shown in the picture.
Step 7: Making the Petals:
Twist each slit in the upward direction to form petals.
Brush with egg wash sprinkle some sesame seeds or pumpkin seeds in the center.
Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degreeC till golden brown.
Participated in the