Introduction: Triangle Truss Bridges
Students design and build truss bridges, then test the strength of the bridge by attaching a scale.
You can find the lesson plan, 1-page project sheet, and more project ideas at STEM-Inventions.com
Step 1: Materials and Tools
Materials and Tools
- Craft sticks (at least 100 per student)
- 4” cable ties (at least 15 per student)
- Glue gun with safety nozzle
- Hot glue sticks
- Alternative: use tacky glue
- Cardboard or newspaper to protect work surface
- Hanging scale
- Strong cord/rope/etc
- Carbine hook or similar device
- Truss bridge patterns (attached PDF or download image)
Step 2: Advanced Ideas: Truss Armor / House Frame
Truss armor is made of a simple craft stick and cube construction, but includes a handle near one end. This allows the user to grasp the structure from within and wear it like armor.
Another alternative is the house frame. Although it does not rely heavily upon trusses for its sturdiness, it does show the basic idea of what timber looks like within the frame of real houses.
You can find the wood cubes used in these ideas here.
Participated in the
The Teacher Contest
1 Person Made This Project!
- ThomasA148 made it!